Kivva
Newly Registered

Hello, I'm a new Japanese Garden Juniper owner

Hi!

I'm Kivva, I'm a 25 year old woman living in Maine. I was given my lovely Juniper by my (now) boyfriend on the day we met. I finally had agreed to meet him in person after he had spent quite a lot of effort in trying to convince me to date him. We had known eachother for about a year and a half online, and he was persistant in telling me he cared for me and wanted to be more than the wonderful friends we were (and still are). :)

Last June, right near my birthday we met eachother half way... We met in Pittsburgh PA... Me from Maine, and him from Mississippi.

He presented me with a lovely Japanese Gadren Juniper, a symbol of both his respect and affection for me.

I am extremely fond on my little Bonsai, but I fear I have been not caring for him properly, especially upon reading many of the posts here in the forum.

From what I can see, my little Juniper has not been wired or pruned, and I have been worried about keeping him warm (the people I live with a more hot blooded than myself), he's been by a chilly window and with the house at 60 F I've been worried. It's hard to find a spot for himto get much light too, it's far too cold to put him outside wher he'd get the most sun, and my bedroom is on the northern part of the building, I never have a beam of sunlight in my room. The onyl window available to me for him is in a rather cold room (by my standards).

There is also a layer of moss over his roots, however, the moss has curiously begun to brown and die... hence my concern for my little guy. From reading, I've been watering him properly at least!

It is most certainly winter here in Maine, I cherish my little Bonsai as he keeps me company for my boyfriend as we work out our plans to be together.

I'm kind of considering this as 'rescuing' him from my ignorance... Can someone help suggest what I should do first to be sure that he is healthy?

Once I know he's healthy, I'd like to learn about wiring a pruning him to make him look pretty. <3

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kivva,

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I fear I have been not caring for him properly, especially upon reading many of the posts here in the forum.
I'm glad to see that you have been doing some research.
I have been worried about keeping him warm
Unfortunately it seems you have not been reading the proper threads. You see although some species can be managed indoors with a little forethought, Juniper is definitely not a good choice for indoor culture. Every year around the middle of January we get questions from new owners who received a Juniper for Christmas and are having trouble with it.
I live with a more hot blooded than myself), he's been by a chilly window and with the house at 60 F I've been worried. It's hard to find a spot for himto get much light too, it's far too cold to put him outside wher he'd get the most sun, and my bedroom is on the northern part of the building, I never have a beam of sunlight in my room. The onyl window available to me for him is in a rather cold room (by my standards).
This cool situation that you seem so concerned about is actually working in your favor. Your tree really should be outside year round, perhaps with some protection, but definitely outside. A warm, dry home is not the proper location for a Juniper.

Having said that, do not move it directly outside now. Without an acclimation period I fear it may not respond well. It should have been outside all summer and all fall in which case it would be prepared to take the cold.

Leave it in the cold room with the good light while we discuss this. What options do you have for location that is colder but not as cold as outside? An unheated garage, or a screen porch perhaps? Read the following links to begin to get an idea of proper winter care.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kivva,

Not convinced? Here's mine last winter.
[url=https://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winterscenevb8.jpg][img]https://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2122/winterscenevb8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”