cynewulf180
Newly Registered

Collecting seeds/berries?

I have some holly shrubs (small leaf, thornless variety) and juniper trees on my property that I'd like to collect seeds from for future attempts and growing from seed. I'm planning on getting a seedling or two in the spring, as I think the pine trees I have aren't going to make it (the needles have all turned blackish-green and are very limp) and I'll have a few years to work with them before the seeds will be grown enough to start training, etc.

So, my question is this: What would be the best method of collecting seeds from these plants for my intended use? It has been very rainy here the past few days, so the ones on the ground are going to be soaked compared to the ones on the branches, and after I have them, should I keep them wet? dry? I'm pretty sure I should keep them cold, but what about keeping them in the dark as well?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

cynewulf180,

Methods of handling seeds varies from species to species. Here is link that lists many species and has guidelines for how to handle them.

https://grow.ars-informatica.ca/plant_index.php?ab=IJK

Norm

alexinoklahoma

You will have to look up each particular species as there are some details that you will want to know. Junipers almost always need some help with scarification, if you want a 'reliable' germination. In wild, birds usually provide the needed 'acid' upon seed coat through digestion; ever noticed all the baby junipers under where birds 'roost'? ;-) And Ilex can be a chore to get germinated in first year, IME...not very dependable with %'s unless done a certain way. Store any seed in a cool but not freezing area with a tiny bit of humidity to keep from drying out. If in a baggie, you can use a single drop of water for most 'bags' of seed. I have kept LOTS of species' seed and never really been surprised by any of them...but now know just how little moisture it takes to keep the seed viable over the winter. Better to be a bit too dry than too wet, trust me!

Seeds are a GREAT way to learn ins/outs of species, and can also humble the most informed person(s)! Do not trust just one 'source' of info either. Some seed requires total darkness to prevent killing the seed while others need a bit of light to start the germination.

And, if you were not aware, any 'hybrid/cultivar' will *not* be the same from seed due to genetics. Chances are the thornless part will not exist in a grown-from-seed plant.

What type of Juniper are you asking about? If it is J virg, be better if you just looked for seedlings around roosting trees ;-)

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”