kdodds
Greener Thumb

:lol: NP. FWIW, you'll get a lot of advice and a lot of differing advice on the care of various trees. Like many other hobbies, there are "cliques" of people in bonsai as well. Some of these "cliques" will insist that all trees should be kept outside, even going so far as to say, "if their maker wanted them inside, he would have put them there", or something like that. Well, my response to that is, "So why are you putting a tree in a pot, then? After all, if their maker wanted them in pots..." :) Anyway, this is to say that you should take much advice with a grain of salt when it is sort of fanatical, or at least leaves no room for "other means". Keeping a Chinese Elm inside is, in short, entirely possible and most people who try and know how to care for them are succesful in doing so.

Itaji_wolf
Newly Registered

[img]https://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/Shadow-wrath/treeresize.jpg[/img]

Here it is! .. beautiful right? :D

thats how it was a couple of weeks ago, now its got long shoots all over the place, and under the rock and alittle towards the tree there is an area where there is no soil in the pot, there are no meshes over the holes, I am wondering how they did that :?

I read somwhere that you would let them grow to like 5-6 leaves and then cut back to 2 .. is that right? or is it ok to cut it to shape again without worrying about it?

and I read the repotting part from bonsai4me.com and they say I should repot during dormancy, but my tree has had no dormancy, and the area with no soil is a bit of a worry .. should I repot it in spring?

thanks for all the help everyone! :D

Wike

Nice tree mate, I normally cut mine back to shape and don't leave the 2 inch, I suppose It all depends on the luck your going for.

These are really hardy treas so I think If you were to re-pot you wouldn't have any problem mate.

Also, A big thanks Kdodds for that comment. I always like to do a bit of research anyway so I never just listen to the comments on here 100% I research to see if what they're saying' Is true. My bonsai Is doing great Indoors so with luck and a lot of care It should continue doing well.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Itaji_wolf,
I read somwhere that you would let them grow to like 5-6 leaves and then cut back to 2 .. is that right? or is it ok to cut it to shape again without worrying about it?
As in many things the answer is it depends. If you are trying to thicken a branch then there is little point in continually trimming its shoots. On the other hand if the tree is in a more advanced state of refinement then yes pinching helps to keep it in shape. There are other reasons not to be too hasty in trimming. Healthy foliage, doing what foliage does, is what feeds the tree.
I read the repotting part from bonsai4me.com and they say I should repot during dormancy, but my tree has had no dormancy, and the area with no soil is a bit of a worry .. should I repot it in spring?
The two main times to re-pot are in spring and under specific circumstances, in mid-winter.

Some growers who wish to have their tree inside for winter allow it a brief dormancy in the fall/early winter and then bring it in where the tree experiences a 'false spring' This is also a possibility for re-potting, just as it begins to leaf out, just as you would in spring. Since you won't have either opportunity this year you have to make a decision.

Last summer I purchased a smaller Chinese Elm and it was in the same horrible potting soil as yours, I immediately re-potted it and it did just fine. How about this, don't trim it any now allowing it to build up some energy reserves and re-pot it in spring. You are taking a bit of a chance but your only other option is to leave it 'as is' even longer. When you do re-pot don't make the mistake of using a similar soil. Read this before you do anything, make sure to follow the links.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Norm

Itaji_wolf
Newly Registered

Gnome,

Thanks for your help Gnome, do you think my tree is in serious trouble being in that soil? .. I don't know how long its been in there

I think will repot in spring, at least then I know what soil its in and when it was put in it. Its a risk either way right?

:( poor little bugger

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Itaji_wolf,
Thanks for your help Gnome, do you think my tree is in serious trouble being in that soil?
You're welcome. Although the soil is less than ideal It is not an emergency. They key is to water it accordingly. A dense soil will not drain as readily a loose, granular one so it will need watered less often.

In the long run the soil does need replaced, when you do it is the sticking point. I've always done it in spring, as they are breaking dormancy, until this year as I mentioned above. If it were mine I think I would do it this spring and keep my fingers crossed. You need to get your materials or purchase a bag of ready-made soil, spring will be here before you know it.

You may find [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicsdevelopingmallsai.htm]this[/url] interesting. Also explore the rest of that site, there is a lot to be learned there.

Norm

Itaji_wolf
Newly Registered

Gnome,

That sounds exactly like my tree alright, even the gravely bonsai soil just on the surface

I do have some Bonsai soil, I started buying bonsai tools and things right after I got the tree.

and your right about the soil not needing the water, I have been using the toothpick test from one of the boards here .. and its only needed water like maybe 4 or 5 days at a time

I will repot it in spring.

Thanks for all your help Gnome :D your a legend

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Itaji_wolf,
Thanks for all your help Gnome :D
You are quite welcome. Make sure to keep us posted.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”