tmshcc
Newly Registered

Is this a kind of pine tree?

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and growing bonsai. Just want to say Hi first.

I have been growing a bonsai seed these two months and the seed sprouted after I soaked the seed in water for a day or two and finally put it into a Jiffy Peat pellet. The sprout looks good and I am now wondering what kind of Bonsai tree it is. I guess this is a pine tree but I am just not sure. I am living in Miami Florida so you can guess the weather is quite hot and humid. I hope someone can give me some advice to grow this bonsai.

Here are two photos that I have taken this afternoon.

[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UbZV4gcILCQ/SUMhjIV5XMI/AAAAAAAABPY/40FlynFbfm0/s400/DSC_7837.jpg[/img]

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UbZV4gcILCQ/SUMhjIbYLQI/AAAAAAAABPQ/L79czDQT778/s400/DSC_7841.jpg[/img]

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

alexinoklahoma

Possibly a Pinus...but there's plenty of other species that look similar when 'sprouting'. May be months (or longer) before you can be certain of an ID

Alex

tarian

I have one of these from a seed pack (only one that grew :lol: )
um it said it was a black pine on the pack but the needles are more of a whitish blue .
it is a pine but I'm unsure of the species it may be too young to tell yet

alexinoklahoma

tarian: Douglas fir also appears exactly as shown when still emerging from the seed ;-) Many others look similar, too (!)

It is still *way* too young to ID, at least with any certainty. Period ;-)

Alex

tmshcc
Newly Registered

Hello everyone!

My little bonsai now looks like this! A great difference from December to February! Can anyone identify the name of this bonsai now??

[img]https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/tmshcc/IMG_0134.jpg[/img]

uzeyr

this is deffo a BLACK PINE its a lovely tree !!!
take care of it and in two years after giving it full sun ofcourse u will see the amount of growth I had one it was just like that

arboricola

Looks like a Podocarpus macrophyllus (southern yew) to me...

Phil...

alexinoklahoma

It is still way too young to know any definitive ID. If it is thought to be a Pinus, is it a 1,2, or 3 needle 'species' pine? (can't tell yet, huh?)... #-of-needles is a primary ID differentiator with Pinus ;-)

It will be awhile still...

Alex

thebean

a pine yes beyond that.... wont know for a while

uzeyr

really well I dunno then :oops:

but I have had like 12 of the seeds and well they were all black pines they looked exactly like that and well I had them for about a year (now they have been given to someone else ) I just thought it looks like a black pine
well anyway at least we know and are certain its a pine :lol:

tmshcc
Newly Registered

[img]https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/tmshcc/DSC_8529.jpg[/img]

Here is a new picture of the bonsai. I just took this picture. See the difference!

uzeyr

woah WELL DONE UR KEEPUNG THIS PLANT WELL
any way I still stck to what I said its a black pine and it woukd do well if next year u plant it in open ground

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Once you start to see really long needles sprouting from the side of the leader, you'll want to prune off the top. This will encourage branching of those new shoots (possible branches) and establish a new leader. Other than that, not a whole lot to do for a few years. ;)

Matt_09

Hello,
From the appearance of the tree it does seem to be a Black Pine. The needles have a slightly blue-green colour, which I've read is an indicator of the branch of the pine genus. Beautiful plant by the way, I wish it was mine. ;D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”