OceanFire

New Ming Aralia Recieved - need help

Hi everyone,
So I'm new to the bonsai thing, although I have been reading the posts and articles on this site for a few months. I just recieved a Ming Aralia bonsai tree from Amazon.com as an early Christmas gift :D (you can see a picture of it by typing its name into Amazon.com), and am a little worried about it. It was not packed well - when I opened the box, the soil had spilled out into the packing peanuts and the bonsais (there are three trunks) came out very easily (as in, didn't stay in at all). I pruned the thick roots because they had formed three tight circles (just like when you pull other plants out of small containers). so my question is twofold - 1) did I damage the bonsai too badly by cutting about 50% of this thick root off and 2) is it better to get new soil now or wait for the roots to recover by (hopefully) early spring? If I damaged the roots, what special care should I give the tree to prevent it from dying?

thank you for your help!

webmaster
Site Admin

Is this it?

[img]https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61e%2Br1ZOG5L._SS400_.jpg[/img]

OceanFire

yes

arboricola

Here's a link that may be helpful.

https://www.rhapisgardens.com/ming-aralias/

Phil...

OceanFire

Thank-you for that website - it is great to get such a detailed background of my new bonsai

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I wuld not be too concerned about it having come out of the pot, but that 50% root pruning might come back to bite you in the posterior. Still, Aralias are pretty forgiving and easy. They're so hardy, even as "bonsai" that you can almost pull them out, stomp on them, chop them up, light them on fire, repot them and still have them grow. :) Should these not make it through (simple normal care and not messing with them is the best thing you can do for now), you might want to visit your local home store. They usually have 2-4" nursery pots of these plants, with dozens of individual plants in them, some of which already may have "trunks". There's not a lot of bonsai training information out there on Aralias, I don't think, but you can treat them as you would Schefflera.

OceanFire

Again, thanks for the help - the website gave me a few ideas :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”