mvanacker
Newly Registered

Struggling Chinese Elm...Looking for Suggestions

Hello,

I've been very interested in bonsai for a few years and recently purchased a Chinese Elm from the Arboretum here in Chicago during the summer months. I read all I could about the species and trying to streamline advice from multiple posters to raise my little guy. I've avoided posting for a while, but I'm nervous about my tree at this point.

I kept the tree outside in good shade and outside during the summer, bringing it in on exceptionally hot days. Towards the middle of fall, I noticed the leaves began turning yellow and dropping off with the slightest touch. Because of this, and after doing more research, I decided the plant was most likely ready for its dormancy period. I kept the tree indoors as we had some unseasonably early frosts and cold, and then brought it into my unheated garage. (I realize now this immediate move from indoors to quite cold garage might have been a bit extreme).

I kept the tree on a shelf in my garage (with minimal light) for about 2 weeks and now the leaves are turning brown instead of yellow and continuing to fall off. I've continued watering about once every 5 days, but I'm concerned this may not be the right approach. I'm also concerned about a lack of light, or perhaps a total shock to the tree now being in the cold. I will post pictures of my little buddy later tonight to show its plight, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions at this point. Should I try to find a cold spot in the garage but with decent light? (or with a growth lamp?) Should I bring the tree back indoors (or would this be compounding a previous mistake)? Should I continue how it is (ie - is this a natural dormancy process)?

I apologize for wasting anyone's time, I just realized after doing research I might be spinning my wheels and could benefit from some pointed advice. I recognize I am a beginner and most likely made some earlier mistakes, but I'm very open to anything you may offer. Thank you all in advance and happying bonsai-ing!

alexinoklahoma

Do not minimize light for dormancy. Light 'patterns' are the prime driver of dormancy (!). As days shorten, tree starts shutting down annd preparing for the cold times. Frosts and such are *necessary* for proper 'hardening'...they have become acclimated to outdoors opr they would not exist (right??)...

Chances are that the tree is going to be pretty weak come Spring, so be sure to ot 'overtax' the tree all next year. It will probably be OK overall, but b not letting it go to sleep on its own 'clock'.... see what I am saying?

Alex

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mvanacker
alexinoklahoma wrote:Do not minimize light for dormancy. Light 'patterns' are the prime driver of dormancy (!). As days shorten, tree starts shutting down annd preparing for the cold times. Frosts and such are *necessary* for proper 'hardening'...they have become acclimated to outdoors opr they would not exist (right??)...

Chances are that the tree is going to be pretty weak come Spring, so be sure to ot 'overtax' the tree all next year. It will probably be OK overall, but b not letting it go to sleep on its own 'clock'.... see what I am saying?
I agree with everything here, all the back and forth probably was not a wise course of action. But if I understand the current condition of the leaves correctly...
now the leaves are turning brown instead of yellow and continuing to fall off.
...then light is not much of a concern right now. If the leaves are brown and dropping off then the tree has already entered dormancy. Or am I misunderstanding?

I keep Chinese Elms in an unheated, north facing garage with only a few small windows. Light is very poor here during winter and my Elms are fine. Once fully dormant deciduous trees don't require sunlight.
Should I continue how it is (ie - is this a natural dormancy process)?
I believe that this is your best bet, it's how I've been keeping mine since I started with them.
I've continued watering about once every 5 days, but I'm concerned this may not be the right approach.
This sounds like it might be excessive. Water usage should be minimal this time of year. Just damp is good enough. I usually check about once a week and actually water much less than that during winter.

Norm

mvanacker
Newly Registered

As promised, here's some pictures of the fading bonsai:

[url=https://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4929la5.jpg][img]https://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3492/img4929la5.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4926ii8.jpg][img]https://img67.imageshack.us/img67/504/img4926ii8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4931sv0.jpg][img]https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8112/img4931sv0.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Let me know what you guys think after seeing this pics...

I noticed that after watering yesterday, my pot and water in my humidity tray was almost frozen. It seems like the consensus on here is that the tree needs the cold to go dormant, but I'm nervous that my garage might be TOO cold. Any suggestions? I've thought of putting a light near it in the garage or putting it in a fridge. Thoughts?

Thanks, gang!

[/img]

mvanacker
Newly Registered

Also, please let me know if these pics aren't clear enough to offer up any suggestions...I can reload them.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mvanacker,

I'm not convinced there is any problem at all. I see a tree that is entering dormancy as it should. Sometimes Chinese Elms can hold onto their leaves late into the year. Are the shoots pliable?

The first year of overwintering can be difficult for new growers but your tree should be fine. You did not mention that the tree was in any obvious distress just that it is losing its leaves, this is normal for this time of year.

BTW, a humidity tray is not necessary at this time of year, in fact a humidity tray does not do much for a tree that is kept outside.

Norm

knarly-tree18

whats a humidity tray
:oops:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

knarly-tree18,

A shallow tray or pan with no holes that is partially filled with water and usually some gravel as well. It is intended to raise the humidity in the immediate vicinity of a potted plant. Due to air movement and the natural humidity they are not commonly used for outdoor trees.

Norm

knarly-tree18

ok so it helps to kepp the plant a bit more watered. and the soil moist

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

knarly-tree18,
ok so it helps to kepp the plant a bit more watered. and the soil moist
Not necessarily and I don't think I said that. A humidity tray humidifies the air around a tree not the soil.

Norm

knarly-tree18

ok I get it

mvanacker
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help. I think the quickness of the brown leaves made me a little nervous.

If it's entering dormancy as it should, do you think my garage is a good place for it? I think it will be near if not below freezing on some nights....this is why I ask. Should I continue watering about once every 10 days or so? Finally, how much light exposure should I provide? I've heard putting the trees under buckets or traffic cones for more heat...is this a viable option?

Thanks for your help, I apologize for the basicness of these questions, I've just never had a bonsai enter dormancy before.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mvanacker,
If it's entering dormancy as it should, do you think my garage is a good place for it? I think it will be near if not below freezing on some nights....this is why I ask.
I previously wrote:
I keep Chinese Elms in an unheated, north facing garage with only a few small windows. Light is very poor here during winter and my Elms are fine... I believe that this is your best bet, it's how I've been keeping mine since I started with them.
Should I continue watering about once every 10 days or so?
I previously wrote:
Water usage should be minimal this time of year. Just damp is good enough. I usually check about once a week and actually water much less than that during winter.
Finally, how much light exposure should I provide?
I previously wrote:
Once fully dormant deciduous trees don't require sunlight.
These may help alleviate your concerns.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm

Norm

mvanacker
Newly Registered

Thank you Norm, your time is much appreciated.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”