uzeyr

japanese maple buds shrivelling

hi i kept my japanese maple inside my store and well i watered them only once not the buds are shrivelling and turning black what could be the reason is this because its not tooo cold for teh trees ? please help i don't want them to die before i see the new leaves :( or should i take them out tottally ints gona be a pretty cold winter here they say so i don't know

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Japanese maples, like all maples, to my knowledge, are temperate trees and require a winter dormancy period. Without that dormancy period, they die off rather quickly more often than not. That the tree was budding while it should have been dormant attests to the fact that it did not get to this dormancy period.

alexinoklahoma

Youngish JM's also show the weakening growth much sooner than 'beefier' (older) ones, IME. Was this a younger (or smaller) tree? I have seen this with JM's that got burnt in summer and not releaf until too late - when winter times come, tree is unable to handle it. The 'feedback' of chemicals within tissues (pro-growth hormones -v- growth inhibitors, per se) is very strong in JM's, so messing with 'timing' is strongly discouraged ;-)

Alex

uzeyr

see that is the thing i also told gnome bout this
first off i bought the whole group planting really cheap becuase it had no leaves on it this was begining of october a few weeksafter i sawnew buds appering bud gnome said u just hadnt noticed them well now the maples buds are dying so any ideas with wat i should do ??
should i keep in teh store or leave them outside ilaso have a group plantingof european larchs they aredoing fine itsjust the maples the maples look about 10-15yrs old i was surpriesed why they were so cheap im beging to understand why :(

alexinoklahoma

I would let them be. There are more 'buds' on trunk most likely, and after it gores through period of 'seasons', might put out the new buds when appropriate. I havehad this happen, so all is not 'lost' (hopefully).

Its hard to tell when new buds are going to actually extend or wait for next Spring; they appear identical until the leaves unfold, so to speak. Maples are ready-to-go-in-Spring with the buds 'set' in prior Fall...and it always 'fools' me, too as to whether the buds are waiting or if they are gonna actually grow... I have dozens of 1-yr old JM's that have buds up and down the trunk(s), only one extended and its in my window as a 'play-toy' plant, LOL. Tiny, tiny leaves, too...kinda against-all-rules that it lives!

Alex

Gnome
Mod

uzeyr
see that is the thing i also told gnome bout this
first off i bought the whole group planting really cheap becuase it had no leaves on it this was begining of october a few weeksafter i sawnew buds appering bud gnome said u just hadnt noticed them well now the maples buds are dying so any ideas with wat i should do ??
It seems there was some confusion in terminology. When you noted new buds I, apparently mistakenly, assumed that you were referring to dormant buds that were swelling a bit and just became evident. If by buds you actually meant extending shoots then I totally misinterpreted your previous questions. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.:oops:

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Most any other species, I would've been more 'alert' myself, too. Pics would've been the 'prime' example, of course ;-) A number of other species do the 'early bud-set' (lack of better term), too, which can be semi-alarming to owner if not used to seeing it, I guess. I *know* the buds are really tough, but I always want to lay a blanket and/or more mulch over those trees when it 'storms' 'cause it just seems appropriate, LOL. I never do, of course ;-)

ALex

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Sometimes there's an advantage to being a neophyte. :) See, I've tried to do the same things, bringing maples inside. Every time I've done so, even into unheated rooms (i.e. 50ºF), they've started to show spring budding that then turned black. Eventually, usually within a week or so, the whole tree would die. I think the best thing to do for maples is to leave them outside. If shelter is required, a simple frame and acrylic greenhouse box (note that light is not required, but it makes viewing easier) is easy and inexpensive to build.

alexinoklahoma

Not an expert, but I do believe that 50F is too warm a 'storage temp' ;-) I would think more towards 40F to keep stuff 'inactive' overall. Length of time does matter, so this may be a fairly moot (?). I am sure there is an average-temp component/variable for when buds emerge, and it seems that most maples are emerging (in Spring, so to speak) into temps of that 'range', or even lower now that I think about it... hmmmmm

Alex

uzeyr

sorry gnome i think we both ,isunderstood each other :oops: the buds are ther but new 1s a popping up but not bursting and extending i don't know but this is what is happening also teh buds are shrivelling well some of teh so i ahve left tehm out in the snow cos someone told me that they need that below zero temprature i dunno will that stop the shrivelling

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”