LizR
Newly Registered

Caliandra emarginata help- dying/dead?

A month and a half ago, my sister and I bought our mother the Caliandra emarginata bonsai tree shown here:
[url]https://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod24105&categoryId=cat240028p[/url]

When it arrived, more than half of the leaves were dry and dull-looking and fell off with the slightest touch; my sister and I told my mother that she should let us return it since it did not look well (and for $30 shipping, we thought it should at least look healthy).

She decided to keep it and try to repair the tree. Unfortunately it did not work and the tree has now lost all of its leaves and is just the trunk. The branches have a fair amount of give to them still, but will break if you bend it too far.

I am just curious if there would be any possible way to salvage it at this point or if it is a lost cause. Perhaps a terrarium and sun lamp with some kind of fertilizer?

Thanks for the help.
Liz

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I don't think you'll get this one to come back. It sounds like it was already on the way out before it left the facility to display so much damage just from shipping (even in cold weather). If there was any guarantee, I would apply for a refund or replacement. Barring any official guarantee, you can argue that the goods you purchased were not representative of the goods offered for sale (I.e. the tree was ailing before you took possession of it) and request a refund for a faulty product.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

LizR, you don't say where you live, but I've purchased a few items from Smith & Hawken over the years, and all were of excellent quality.

I haven't bought plants, but tools and accessories, from them.

Please give them a phone call. Talk to a real-live person! and express your disappointment over this gift to your mom. Sooner rather than later; there may be some kind of 30-day or 60-day or something limit on plants. I really don't know.

But Smith & Hawken has a generally good reputation here in the Bay Area, their place of "birth."

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LizR
Newly Registered

cynthia_h, I live in Pittsburgh PA and if I recall correctly it was fairly cold when the item arrived. I imagine that didn't help matters much.

kdodds, I was afraid that was the case but figured I'd try and see if there was anything that could be done to salvage it. I agree though that it's probably a lost cause at this point.

I will definitely take both of your advice and try calling to see if anything can be done.

I appreciate the help!
Liz

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You're welcome, I'm just sorry I could not offer much more in the way of help. Leaving the plant alone and hoping for a recovery is the best thing to do. Water only as the soil surface becomes dry and just leave it, that's about all you can really do.

alexinoklahoma

My C emarginata are incredibly resilient, fwiw. Leaf loss happens with environment change, especially if leaves get too hot/cold, IME. Or if soil dries out - the leaves are a barometer (somewhat anyways) of past 'bad' things.

Firstly, do a scratch test low on trunk (scrape off tad of bark to see if cambium is still greenish, or dry/brown. If green shows, it will live, I bet ;-)

Just do not overwater - they are slow to rebud (!!!). They also slow down in growth a great deal when brought indoors for 'winter', so it may recover in slow-motion, so to speak.

I really, really, really like the emarginata(s), so I hope yours does well. I am going to do some major cuttings this Spring, and I hear they are easy to get rooted, so that is another 'plus' for the recovery of yours...

Optimistically,
Alex

LizR
Newly Registered

alexinoklahoma, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The trunk is still green and it's fairly cold here now. Hopefully with proper care over the winter it will bloom later.

Thanks again for all the help,
Liz

alexinoklahoma

Fwiw, I have found that pulling the flower buds off for awhile will help tree 'reinvigorate'. It will bloom *plenty* soon enough - and the more sun, the more numerous the buds will be, IME. Just modest use of 'general' fertilizer as it grows, then let it rip come 'summer'....

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”