mosk1640
Cool Member

Baby Jade leaf/branch drop!

I have a baby jade situated under a florescent light in my office. I have a lot of new growth but recently I have had about 4-5 leaves drop per day and just today an entire branch!!! I am very careful as to not over water it so I water when the surface appears dry. I even use the toothpick method but no matter what I do the leaves seem to drop. Some shrivel and turn brown before they drop. No disease or insects observed. Help!

Thanks!!!

Matt

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Jades, being succelents, require less water than most house plants. The soil should be allowed to become almost completely dry before rewatering, not just the soil surface. Also, soil should be poorer than houseplant soil, comprised of mostly inorganic matter. Akadama (or substitute) is actually a very good choice of soil.

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I am watering too much then. the shriveling/wrinkled leaves were confusing me though.

Thanks.

Matt

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It could be that the soil is retaining moisture too well, too. We had a huge jade left by the former owners of the house for about 2 years before a new dog ate it. Anyway, this plant was watered, maybe, if I remembered, once every month or three, and was planted in a mostly sandy mixture (by the former owner).

mosk1640
Cool Member

Wow, did you say once a month??????????? If that is the case then ive been watering WAY too much!!! I suppose I'm just overly cautious with the watering, not wanting it to go without.

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Hi mosk.

Yeah, I just got a new baby jade and I'm watering it about twice a week but I have it in a very inorganic free draining mix soil. Mostly lava with a little pine bark.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/golfballman/Bonsai/Dec1st082.jpg

Cuda

mosk1640
Cool Member

Yea, I think one of my issues is the soil. It doesn't appear to be very free draining so Ill either re-pot it or just water it much less.

Thanks!!!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

mosk1640 wrote:Wow, did you say once a month???????????
Yeah, IF I remembered, sometimes it would got two or three months. This wasn't a bonsai, or a baby jade, justa jade houseplant. Shame the dog ate it, it would have made an awesome bonsai as it was easily 30 years old.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mosk1640,

A few things kdodds just wrote should be highlighted/clarified.
This wasn't a bonsai, or a baby jade, justa jade houseplant.
To me these facts are important.

It was not a bonsai but a houseplant which means it was likely in a larger pot and in a heavier soil. Both factors will have some bearing on the frequency of watering.

Also it was not a Portulacaria which is not nearly as bulky as a full sized Jade and therefore is not able to hold as much water.

I agree with what has been posted here but my Ports need watering with greater frequency than Jades. It is still important that they are allowed to dry thoroughly though.

When in doubt you are probably better off not watering. A healthy Port, of Jade for that matter, will let you know when it needs water as the leaves will begin to appear soft and flaccid.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Totally agreed Norm, my example was not meant to suggest that a bonsai could also be watered in that way. Rather it was meant as a comparison of a succulent houseplant to other houseplants so the comparison could be drawn from succulent bonsai to other bonsai. ;)

alexinoklahoma

They will also die off when there is not enough light upon them. A plain ol' fluoro is not going to provide much 'energy' for life sustenance ;-) They demand sun (!!). The roots are rather sensitive to anaerobic soils, hence the preference for a more 'airy' soil that has better drainage (to let 'oxygenated' fluids down by roots)...

Alex

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thank you everyone for weighing in on my issue!

:o

Matt

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”