New at this
Newly Registered

Pine Bonsai - Should I Put it Outdoors for Winter?

I just purchased my first Bonsai, a pine. Since I live in Oklahoma and pines are outdoor plants I would like to be sure I should put my plant outside during the cold days between now and March. Is this correct?

New at this

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

New at this,
I should put my plant outside during the cold days between now and March. Is this correct?
In general, yes but there are some differences between species. What type of Pine tree are we talking about.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Protect the roots (ie winterize the pot) when you put it outdoors. Ask the seller if the tree was going dormant when you got it; if so, put outside immediately ;-) Otherwise, just place outside at your convenience...

Alex

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

New at this wrote:
The seller didn't say anything about wintering. I bought it from an oriental gentleman selling them from his van in an old gas station. I'd wanted one for such a long time I couldn't resist. He told me to water daily and give it 30 minutes of sun a day and directed me to go to the internet for any additional instructions on caring for my plant.
Right now, it's running about 38-58 degrees up and down. Typical OK weather.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

New at this,

Lacking a proper ID I would have to say that your best choice would be to do as Alex suggested. Place it outside in a location that is out of direct wind and mulch it in well. I would still try to get an ID on it though, it can't hurt.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”