uzeyr

buying online bonsai

hi I just bought a chinese elm bonsai thing is the guy will be sending it in two days and I told him to put the tree in abox will the tree live without ventilation and what about light will it survive withought light for two days

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

Don't give it another thought, it's done all the time. More important is how it is packaged so that it is not unnecessarily jostled about. All in all I would not worry about it.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Yup, as Norm said, nothing to worry about. Most of my trees I have ordered online.

Matt

uzeyr

tahnx u guys I got the tree is so nice now alli I need is info om how to keep elms indoor I hear they are easy
any advice please the tree is in top shape it has even been pruned and styled with no wire scarring

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

I don't grow them indoors but common sense dictates a bright location and lacking that, supplemental lighting will be beneficial. Keep it away from heat sources and dry air. Consider the use of a humidity tray.

Are you really committed to keeping it inside? Do you know how it has been managed recently, was it inside or outside before you purchased it?

Norm

uzeyr

hi I asked the guy and he said that the tree was imported from china this year september and was kept in a glass house explains the well kept shape and no apparent scars but the tree is really loose from its pot I mean I can simply lift it out of the pot the root ball is fine(it is the exact shape of the pot ) but the tree not stcking to the pot u know wat I mean I can lift the tree out of the pot with the root ball with no pressure at all the tree looks really healthy though also well shaped and wired

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The unfortunate thing here is that the REseller doesn't really know what he's selling when he's imported it from China (or anywhere else for that matter). Only the original grower/cultivator knows for sure how the tree has been kept, whether it's been indoors or ooutdoors, etc. Being that it was imported in September, the REseller doesn't have a four season plan/experience with the tree either. SO... like me, you're flying by the seat of your pants with this tree and hoping what you do turns out well. The only way you can test if it will thrive in the situation you would like to keep it is if you actually try it (and are willing to risk the tree).

uzeyr

well I doubt I have a choice now but on the contrary the tree has beeen kept well and seems to be growing well but the elms are supposed to be hardy right

kdodds
Greener Thumb

A Chinese Elm should be winter hardy for your area, yes. Some cultivars might not be, though. Mostly these would be the dwarf varieties which are supposed to be more tender.

uzeyr

hi well having said that mine is the smooth from and looks like the dwarf form the picture below shows the tree exactly how it is bythe way for watering how ?I mean do I water when the surface is dry or when the the pot feels light a little help
thanx

the elm I choose was this one isnt it a beauty the elm is much smaller than it looks nontheless just as charming

[img]https://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo259/uzeyr_bonsai/ce63_1.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Mine is sucking up a lot of water at the moment, I water twice per week, when teh top of the "soil" (Akadama) is dry. I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's a dwarf cultivar or not, but it's defnitely not one of the smallest cultivars since these have leaves barely 1/8" long.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”