Cuda52774
Cool Member

Buying trees online

Is this generally a good or bad idea and can anyone make a suggestion for a reputable dealer.

I'm looking to buy a baby jade on the cheap (I.e. beginner's stage) so I can have something small (mame) indoors.

Thoughts?

Cuda

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I buy almost all of my trees online. However, I start with starter plants and seeds and I'm not real particular about flaws since I'll never be exhibiting any of them. I would be VERY careful about purchasing any "full grown" tree online, regardless of species. Many places show only a representational specimen, not the one you'll actually get, when it comes to "introductory" trees like jades, figs, etc. Many are often not at all worth what they're selling them for and some are even mass-produced "mallsai" type trees. Many are also well over-priced, especially the "mallsai" type. For instance, I purchased a Brazilian rain tree bonsai on vacation in Atlanta this year for $60. The same species, similar size and refinement, I've seen online for over $200, and we're not talking a tree that is decades old either, maybe 8 years, tops. So, be VERY careful about buying those "full grown" bonsai online.

Since you're looking for something that's more of a "starter plant", I think, you're pretty safe. There are a number of routes you can take with that, though. You can purchase it as a starter plant, usually in nursery pot sizes from 2-4", and get what you get. Or, you could buy it as a houseplant and pick which stalks or cuttings you want to try making into a bonsai. I don't think "mame" is going to be really feasible with a jade, even a "baby jade", especially for a beginner. You might want to shoot more for a "shohin" size range of around 6-8". That's still small enough to be managed even in cramped quarters, but large enough that watering and humidity maintenance are not constant chores.

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Thanks Kdodd. I actually had someone from this site take very good care of me in my search for a jade. I don't know if that person wants that known so I will say thanks publicly and annonymously.

I have two questions. I live in atlanta too. Where did you find bonsai trees in the ATL and would you recommend them.

Also, since you buy most of your "starter" plants online, I'd be very interested in any websites you could recommend that you've found to reputable.

Thanks so much.

Cuda

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The tree I purchased was from an exhibitor at the "Daisy Festival" at Stone Mountain in September. And yes, despite the fact that he makes heavy use of gravel amendments, I would recommend him. He had some very nice little trees at very reasonable prices (and you don't have to worry about shipping). If you should see him (forget his name, sorry, had a card but lost it) let me know if he still has that huge Fukien Tea.

As for starter plants, I prefer to use meehansminiatures.com because they have a larger selection of indoor trees than most. I have gotten slugs from them though, so examine soil carefully when repotting, and keep the plants separate, if possible. They also carry accent plants, for indoors as well as cold room and outdoors, which was a definite plus for me. I'm not real great with the accent plants, but they're very affordable. I also use ebay occassion, though not any one particular vendor. Mostly, though, this is for tools, soils, pots, etc.

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Thanks Kdodds. I'll check them out. I'm going to make a drive out to the Monastery in Conyers this weekend to see what they have also. Plus I just want to see what they have on display. :wink:

Cuda

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”