Sylvius
Newly Registered

New Gardenia

Hi all...

We got a bonsai from Proflowers.com as a present on 10/27. I've put it in a window so it gets sunlight and water it every 3 days or so as the instructions said. I also got a humidity tray with rocks to put under the pot. However, many leaves are turning yellow with green spots, yellow, or just plain brown! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sylvius,

Hello and welcome to the forum.
water it every 3 days or so as the instructions said
If I were a betting man I would say that this is a large part of the problem. It is impossible to put a definitive number of days on when to water. Vendors do this because it is easier than educating their customers properly and by making things seem easier than they really are they probably garner more sales. :evil:

I have no experience with this species so I can't help much. Some plants like to be drier and some moister but very few like to be constantly wet. Perhaps someone else here can help with specifics. In the meantime take a look at the sticky thread about general growing at the top of this forum, there are some tips on watering there.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If this tree is indoors in a heated room at this time of year, this may be the problem. Gardenias require cold rooms in the winter, and it may be in a dormant/slow growth phase already. Watering copiously during this time can mean death for a tree fairly quickly. Gardenias, if memory serves, should be allowed to dry a little (the top of the soil should be dry) before watering again.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”