Cuda52774
Cool Member

Thanks Norm. I'll probably just shelter them all in the garage close to the relative warmth of the kitchen door. None of them should need any sunlight til spring right?

Heading to the Monastery tomorrow to get some soil for my new baby jade and look at what stock they have for sale.

Doing a lot of research on my trees. Evergreengardenworks says a good rule of thumb is 15 degrees F. It's supposed to get down to 18 degrees tonight so I'm going to bring them in and probably leave them in the garage until close to spring, taking them outside only to water them during the warmth of mid-day.

Thanks again

Cuda

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Cuda52774,
I'll probably just shelter them all in the garage close to the relative warmth of the kitchen door. None of them should need any sunlight til spring right?
The Maples, without leaves, will have no need of light until they begin to leaf out next spring. The others are somewhat dependent upon temperature, at low temps. little photosynthesis is occurring so little light is required, as temps. rise they shift back into growing mode. Brent's site has an article that deals with this.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormever.htm
Make sure to let us know what happens at the Monastery.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Hey all,
It's almost time for me to "throw" my Japanese Maples in the shed. They have lost some leaves so I need to go check and see how they are doing.
It snowed here the other day but nothing stuck. Have you had any snow in your area Norm??

Take Care

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kenshin14435,

Yeah, there's a little snow on the ground now but the roads are clear. Our low temp. so far has been around 17F. Everything is now put away for winter.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Well thats cool. We have no snow anywhere. Today its above 40. I like the cold. I thnk about a half week and they need to go into the shed.

Take Care

Kenshin14435

Alright,
I went down yesterday andfuond out that my dad brought in my little Japanese Maples(along with his tiny evergreen)because hethought they would freeze. I know he was trying to help but still, remember the pix I showed in my thread(Advice on Japanese Maples), well now that he brought em in, that four leafer has now become a 2 leafer. I have now placed them in the shed but they still have almost all their leaves. Should I leave them out for a longer amount of time? High around here has been 35-45. Leave 'em in the shed or put them back outside. Now I' a little pissed that he brought them in. I told him that they NEED the cold to go into dormancy but he just sighed and told me that they didn't. What did I do you ask?? I refered him to this site and the many Cold weather topics. And what kind of answer did I get from my dad? All I got was a blank stare, and a "OH".
Anyway, he said that it was his bad and that if they died, in spring he will go out and buy me a good size Japanese Maple in a 20 gallon bucket or something like it. I would really like that. then I would have an excuse to go out and buy that Book you mentioned Norm.
LOL
I hope they hang in tough...........

Take Care

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

I don't think I would get too upset about it, your trees are able to withstand these type of variations in temperature which occur in nature. In the fall shortening day lengths are the primary trigger to enter dormancy but temps are important too. If temps are still moderate you can bring them back out, no harm done. Eventually the shed will probably be your best bet but your climate is different than mine so you will have to make the call when, or if, to shelter them.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”