uzeyr

never actually experienced a winter need advice

hi
I have a few indoor bonsai nut as I said earlier I have also got two outdoor ones they are a group planting of 5 maples and another group planting of bout 5 larch trees , it becoming cold now where I live rochdale manchester so I don't knw wat to do with the trees its begun to rain here alot and they are slugs appering all over the place so now I dnt think my bonsai are safe outside
in my house there is a store that leads to the outside this store has no heating and part of the bottom door is missing there is only one window do you think the two bonsai plantings will survive here in this store through winter I don't know what to do
please reply thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

By 'store' I take it you mean some sort of storage area. A root cellar/cold cellar perhaps? This sounds like a good location for your temperate, deciduous trees once they are dormant. Don't rush them inside too soon though, some good chilly nights helps to prepare them for the real cold that will come later. Don't worry about low light, once the leaves are done there is no real requirement. Don't forget to check on them periodically, they will require periodic watering.

Norm

uzeyr

yep its like a garage but smaller everything fits the description,o yeah by the way when I bought my maples they had noo leaves but buds everywhere but recently I have seen an increase in the no of buds because they are popping up in the lower trunk does this mean my tree has woken up and is growing again

bout watering I check everyday have had them for bout a month now and since I bought it it hasnt looked like it needs watering the ground always wet so in winter bout how many weeks will the plants go without watering

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
when I bought my maples they had noo leaves but buds everywhere but recently I have seen an increase in the no of buds because they are popping up in the lower trunk does this mean my tree has woken up and is growing again
When a temperate deciduous tree, such as a Maple, is allowed to experience shortening days in the fall this triggers its dormancy. The tree will remain dormant until a specific number of hours below a specific temperature has been reached. There is nothing wrong with seeing buds now, they will open next spring. They should be compact and tight, showing no signs of opening yet.

If your tree has been handled properly before and after you purchased it, it should be dormant now and will not break dormancy until the requisite number of chilling hours has been reached. Then temperature is the trigger that will cause it to break dormancy. By handled properly I mean either grown outside or perhaps in a greenhouse with naturally shortening day lengths.
bout watering I check everyday have had them for bout a month now and since I bought it it hasnt looked like it needs watering the ground always wet
With no leaves and cool temperatures water loss will be at a minimum. Couple that with natural rainfall you are experiencing and it is not surprising that you have not needed to water.
so in winter bout how many weeks will the plants go without watering
I can't really give a number. My trees that are kept in such a situation are checked once a week and watered as necessary.

Norm

uzeyr

thanx appreciate the advice
so all I'm doin is keeping them in cool tempratures with no watering until needed
but I'm telling u seriosly I have seen two new buds the old ones are still compact but they are new ones popping up I'm sure of this.its not normal is it ??
because the tree is supposed to be dormant isnit ? to be truthful when I bought the maples they were inside the glass house and had no leaves that was 1 &1/2 months ago
I know I'm sticking to this matter but I don't want them to die beacuse I will not be allowed to keep other bonsai :(

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
thanx appreciate the advice
You're welcome, glad to help.
so all I'm doin is keeping them in cool tempratures with no watering until needed
Correct, it is just a waiting game until spring. These are the dull months for temperate bonsai. Use the time reading and studying. If you intend to re-pot anything in the spring you will need to learn about bonsai soil first.
I have seen two new buds the old ones are still compact but they are new ones popping up I'm sure of this.its not normal is it ?
They were there before, you just did not notice them until they developed a bit. As long as they are not opening you should have no problem. Even though your tree had no leaves it obviously was not entirely dormant. In my mind the 'new' buds are reassuring, it shows the tree is still alive.
when I bought the maples they were inside the glass house and had no leaves that was 1 &1/2 months ago
Well, having no leaves by the first of October does seem a little early but not so much so to cause concern. Why not contact the vendor, perhaps they can offer some explanation.
I don't want them to die beacuse I will not be allowed to keep other bonsai
It is an unfortunate fact that all bonsai growers kill some trees, especially early on. One of the most well known quotes in bonsai notes that "dead trees are the tuition one pays to learn bonsai" Expect to kill some trees and when you do do not let it deter you, it has not me.:wink:

Norm

uzeyr

thanks for the quote loved it :D
bout killing way ahead of some people I ahve killed a few my self 2 serissa and one privet don't think that was enough tutuion :oops: any way I really wanted to post the pics would really like to show u guys my collection hw do do it I cant pay to loads pictures is there a free site thanx

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] for two options, choose one. I use Imageshack.

Norm

Kenshin14435

I use photobucket......it's free and user friendly.
Although, they just re-did the site so I'm still getting used to it.
I just use it for pictures for here and another site.
they are a great help if you need any.

Take Care and Good Luck!

Cuda52774
Cool Member

I just wanted to add a question to this topic. Is there a danger of over-watering during the winter due to normal rainfall? With rainfall pretty heavy here in the south-east should I worry about the soil staying too wet for long periods of time due to the trees not needing much water thereby causing root rot?

I've been considering getting them under an eave of the house to protect them from the rain and let them rely on me for their watering needs. Is this something I should be concerned about for the entirety of the winter?

Also, what should I be using for fertilizer during the winter? I have a Trident maple, a Yaupon Holly, and a Juniper. Thanks!

Cuda

alexinoklahoma

Plants showing no growth need no fertilizer :-)

It is possible to 'overwater', but not as likely as you may think. The soil of 'dormant' trees (leafless, per se) needs little moisture, if any, and 'evergreens' need little when temps are rather low.

Its best not to bury the pots where water gathers after rains so roots do not swim too long. I have not lost anything, though, when any of my various species sat in soggy soil for over a month due to record-setting lengthy rain(s). I generally bury my pots a bit above natural soil-line and backfill with low-retention material like cypress mulch/gravel or such As long as water recedes eventually, all should be OK, other than super-sensitive roots of some species, of course...

Alex

Cuda52774
Cool Member

As usual, thanks Alex for answering my Noob questions. LOL. I'm looking forward to my first spring of bonsai.

Cuda

alexinoklahoma

:-)

When buds swell in Spring, that is when ferts are 'recommended' for decid's for the most part. Some say wait a month or so after bud-burst, others say to go ahead and get started at first signs of life...your call there :-) I say get the nutrients back into soil that has been 'washed clean' all winter....

Alex

Cuda52774
Cool Member

One more quick winter question. I know Maples are prone to root freeze. At what temperature (in Farenheit) should I go ahead and bring in my maple?

It got down to 22 degrees yesterday morning and I wimped out and brought it into the garage the night before.

I had heard 15 degrees at the lowest but I'm just wary of leaving it out in those kinds of temps without some of you guy's expert opinions.

Also, I'm worried about my juniper and weeping yaupon if anyone has any info on those. Didn't bring them in, thinking they were hardy enough to handle low 20's.

Thanks.

Cuda

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Cuda52774,
I had heard 15 degrees at the lowest but I'm just wary of leaving it out in those kinds of temps without some of you guy's expert opinions.
Well I don't know about the expert part but I keep my Japanese Maples sheltered in an unheated garage. My temperatures are colder than yours but most of my things have been inside for about a week now.

The Juniper should do fine outside as long as you protect the root-ball. If the root-ball will remain intact one of the best ways is to remove it from the pot and plant it in a location out of direct wind. water it in well so that there are no air pockets and then mulch. If it won't remain intact you can do the same with the pot although I usually just tuck it into a sheltered spot and much it in well.

As far the Holly is concerned I don't grow them so I can't offer any first hand advice. From what I see on Harry's site I think I would protect it with the Maples. Make sure to check you pots for adequate moisture periodically.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ilex.html

Norm

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Thanks Norm. I'll probably just shelter them all in the garage close to the relative warmth of the kitchen door. None of them should need any sunlight til spring right?

Heading to the Monastery tomorrow to get some soil for my new baby jade and look at what stock they have for sale.

Doing a lot of research on my trees. Evergreengardenworks says a good rule of thumb is 15 degrees F. It's supposed to get down to 18 degrees tonight so I'm going to bring them in and probably leave them in the garage until close to spring, taking them outside only to water them during the warmth of mid-day.

Thanks again

Cuda

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Cuda52774,
I'll probably just shelter them all in the garage close to the relative warmth of the kitchen door. None of them should need any sunlight til spring right?
The Maples, without leaves, will have no need of light until they begin to leaf out next spring. The others are somewhat dependent upon temperature, at low temps. little photosynthesis is occurring so little light is required, as temps. rise they shift back into growing mode. Brent's site has an article that deals with this.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormever.htm
Make sure to let us know what happens at the Monastery.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Hey all,
It's almost time for me to "throw" my Japanese Maples in the shed. They have lost some leaves so I need to go check and see how they are doing.
It snowed here the other day but nothing stuck. Have you had any snow in your area Norm??

Take Care

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kenshin14435,

Yeah, there's a little snow on the ground now but the roads are clear. Our low temp. so far has been around 17F. Everything is now put away for winter.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Well thats cool. We have no snow anywhere. Today its above 40. I like the cold. I thnk about a half week and they need to go into the shed.

Take Care

Kenshin14435

Alright,
I went down yesterday andfuond out that my dad brought in my little Japanese Maples(along with his tiny evergreen)because hethought they would freeze. I know he was trying to help but still, remember the pix I showed in my thread(Advice on Japanese Maples), well now that he brought em in, that four leafer has now become a 2 leafer. I have now placed them in the shed but they still have almost all their leaves. Should I leave them out for a longer amount of time? High around here has been 35-45. Leave 'em in the shed or put them back outside. Now I' a little pissed that he brought them in. I told him that they NEED the cold to go into dormancy but he just sighed and told me that they didn't. What did I do you ask?? I refered him to this site and the many Cold weather topics. And what kind of answer did I get from my dad? All I got was a blank stare, and a "OH".
Anyway, he said that it was his bad and that if they died, in spring he will go out and buy me a good size Japanese Maple in a 20 gallon bucket or something like it. I would really like that. then I would have an excuse to go out and buy that Book you mentioned Norm.
LOL
I hope they hang in tough...........

Take Care

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

I don't think I would get too upset about it, your trees are able to withstand these type of variations in temperature which occur in nature. In the fall shortening day lengths are the primary trigger to enter dormancy but temps are important too. If temps are still moderate you can bring them back out, no harm done. Eventually the shed will probably be your best bet but your climate is different than mine so you will have to make the call when, or if, to shelter them.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”