mosk1640
Cool Member

Baby Jade questions

Would you happen to know anything about Mini Jade Bonsai??? If so I have a few questions.

Matt

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mosk1640,

Hello and welcome, I have been growing Portulacaria (Baby Jade) for some time and seem to have good luck with them so I'll try to help if you like.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Great, thanks Norm.
So it seems I can never quite tell when to water it and Ive read that I must be super careful not to over water it. Lately ive had some wrinkled leaves that have shriveled and fallen off. The tree is in a bright indoor location 8 inches underneath a strong flourescent light. I do see a ton of new growth, lots of large lime green leaves. Any advice as to how often to water?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mosk1640,

Assuming there are no other issues, if you are seeing wrinkled leaves you have waited a little too long. Don't worry though it will recover nicely once you do water. I have found that Portulacaria don't mind being watered more frequently than full sized Jades. Perhaps this is due to the fact that they simply do not have the bulk of the larger Jades.

During the summer, when mine are outside I water more often than when they are inside for the winter, but my indoor location is fairly cool so your situation may be different. Also my lighting is not what it should be so growth slows for me then.

In short, always water thoroughly, saturate the soil and wait until the soil dries for a few days. And to ease your mind I have never had a problem over-watering them but I use a coarse, free draining mix. My biggest problem is leaf drop during the winter due to low light levels.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Much appreciated Norm. Ive been reading all over that even branches will drop if over watered so I got a bit scared. so far so good though, I have seen rapid growth on top and at the edges so...something has to be going right!

Thanks again!

Matt
:o

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,
Much appreciated Norm. Ive been reading all over that even branches will drop if over watered so I got a bit scared.
You're welcome. Most growers outside of the bonsai community use the typical dense, peaty, water retentive mix that is sold at all the retailers. I avoid this stuff for everything except perhaps seedlings. Then some people tend to 'pamper' their plants to the point of killing them. Constantly damp soil will cause problems for this species but if you use a good mix it is much harder to kill them with kindness.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Update!
So I found out my soil is perfect, free draining soil. I began watering just a tiny bit more and now every morning I see perfectly healthy leaves dropping. Just one or two will drop per evening. Coincidentally, there is rapid new growth forming all over. Should I be alarmed by some healthy leaves dropping???

Thanks!

Matt

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,

The occasional dropped leaf is bound to happen to these and and to full sized Jades, no single leaf lasts forever. Since you have new growth I don't think I would panic.

I do feel I need to clarify something though. When I posted this earlier:
In short, always water thoroughly, saturate the soil and wait until the soil dries for a few days.
I gave the impression that you need to water every few days when in reality 'a few days' would be the minimum amount of time to wait between watering during periods of rapid growth, like outside during summer. This species could easily wait longer, a lot depends upon the conditions you have it in. A warm, dry room with good light is a different situation than a cool room with lower light levels. Let the plant guide you, if the leaves are still plump and firm you are OK.

I'm sorry that I gave misleading advice.:oops: And just to let you know I have not watered mine since our earlier exchange but they are in a cool basement. Don't worry about this brief period of plenty (water), they evolved to store water in damp periods for use later when it is drier.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the clarification Norm.

Matt
:idea:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”