collegechic

Thickening Branches

Hi everyone! Another question from the girl with the ginger root ficus!

I'm still up in the air with the direction I want to take my tree in, though Root over Rock is still appealing to me.

I was wondering what methods there were for thickening the branches of my bonsai. I've chosen which branch I want to be my leader. There are the big bulbous roots right now, and a small trunk, then I have three branches stemming off from around the top of the trunk. It looks like the trunk was chopped off for some reason. Either way the three branches coming up are very thin.

I know thickening the branches will just take time, but I was wondering if there was a good methodology to promote it.

Or, if I should cut off all the other branches but the one I want to be my leader?

Thanks again everyone!

alexinoklahoma

Patience is the only thing to make trunks and limbs thicken. A 'ginger ficus' is not going to do anything fast ;-) If I remember right, you just got this plant, and already want to chop it up (?) and 'experiment'. Slow down and learn what the plant does on its own without any 'help'.

The best thing you can do is to water properly and give good growing conditions, like no added moss on soil or dunking pot in tub of water, both popular newbie 'tricks' that I hope you avoid.

I have not played with the huge-root ficus species, but it seems all I have seen do have more than one 'trunk', like more of a bush than a singular-trunk tree. I see more of this https://lh3.ggpht.com/_Oi6VVFvKyv0/R0yyyhZogXI/AAAAAAAAADE/5YCFpeCdcQI/DSC00260.JPG ) than any single trunk 'specimens'.

Personally, I'd leave it alone awhile until I got more accustomed to its growing patterns and likes/dislikes. Let the plant dictate what happens, and not vice-versa. Trees are happier that way until you know them well :-) No real harm will come if all but one limb removed, but vigor will go way down for awhile (lose leaves, lose energy!)

Enjoy,
Alex[/url]

collegechic

I got this plant about a little over a year ago, and I think it's about, three years old? I'm not really sure as to it's exact age to be honest.

I'm just a proactive person, and I didn't know if I had a plan in mind for the final outcome for the plant if it'd be better to direct it toward that.

Oh, as a side note, no I haven't done anything crazy with it. I actually tore off all the moss and junk when I first got the plant.

One more question!! It's getting a bit cold out now, okay okay it's Florida so you northerners are laughing at me. By cold I mean in the low 50's, should I take my little guy in at all? Or is he okay outside? Also when should I take him in? If ever?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

collegechic,

Temperatures in the 50's will not cause any damage to your tree. If this is as cold as it gets for you and if those are the lows, not an average, you do not have to bring it in at all. If temperatures are consistently below 60 the tree would probably be happier in a warmer setting for a few months.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”