Gooner
Newly Registered

new to bonsai, need help with Juniper

hi, I'm currently attending University, and bought a bonsei tree at the start of the semester. It is a Japanese Juniper according to the man who sold it to me, and thing had been going well until a couple weeks ago the branches started browning, drying out, and falling. Also the soil is now having trouble absorbing water.

I was wondering what advice you have for me, seeing as I am at school I don't really have the option to take my plant outside so its been on my desk. Please help! Thanks!

Gooner
Newly Registered

here are some pics, maybe this will allow you to provide more advice:

[img]https://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/westvacation06/006.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/westvacation06/008.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/westvacation06/015.jpg[/img]

Please Help!

alexinoklahoma

This is easy - it goes outside, or it dies. No option on that whatsoever. Kinda like 'breathe, or die' ;-)

No other advice need be given if it will always be indoors. There is LOTS of info in the stickies, plus a lot of 'juniper' threads, too. They all say 'outdoors', fwiw...

Alex

Gooner
Newly Registered

well that sucks, because there is no way I can take it outside, unless it lasts until thanksgiving. the guy who sold it to me is a lying git though, he told me it would be fine in my room.

if I set it near my window (no sun comes in) would that help any? or is it just a lost cause?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Gooner,
the guy who sold it to me is a lying git though, he told me it would be fine in my room.
It is an unfortunate fact that not everyone is honest about this. I once was at a flea market and overheard a vendor telling a couple that they could keep a small juniper indoors. I politely informed the couple otherwise, I don't think the vendor was pleased.
if I set it near my window (no sun comes in) would that help any? or is it just a lost cause?
Good sun is a necessity but there is more to consider than that. Junipers require a dormant period that cannot be provided inside. I have read of some who try to keep them in a refrigerator long enough to provide the requisite chilling hours but you will have problems with the low light levels once you bring it out.

There are other species that are more suitable for indoor culture but if your window is poorly lit you will almost certainly need some form of supplemental lighting.

https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Gooner...I do hate saying it like this, but it is pointless to try and 'make do' indoors. Nothing personal, I promise. And unfortunately, way too many 'vendors' say whatever it takes to make the sale, and I do wish I could personally shoot each and every dishonest salesman (of whatever items, LOL)...

Anyways, your juniper is likely already 'gone' as they lose much of their 'vitality' by the time it appears 'sick' to visual-inspection...ie by time it 'browns', its basically dead, and more often than not no amount of life-support attempts will succeed ;-)

Sorry :-( If you want to do something indoors, think schefflera or ficus. *Those* would certainly be possible, though not as 'sexy' as a juniper bonsai, huh? They are very inexpensive to get started, too. Cuttings can be had for free (or postage anyways, LOL) usually...

Alex

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just a ditto to what's already been said. It's certainly possible to keep indoor bonsai, just not junipers, or at least not the most ubiquitous J. procumbens. If you're really looking for a pine or pine-like indoor bonsai there are a lot of choices. But, most of them are nowhere near as hardy as the "beginner" indoor choices already mentioned. Worth a try, if you're dead set on pine or pine like, are Podocarpus sp., Cedar of Lebanon, Monterey Pine, and the like. What you're really looking for is coniferous/evergreen tropical to subtropical or mild temperate species. Temperate trees can no more "come inside" than a polar bear can live on the beach in sunny southern California.

Gooner
Newly Registered

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm definatly going to make sure I get a bonsai that I'm sure can live indoors next time.

alexinoklahoma

And we would all be more than happy to help you pick something that would be well-suited for your needs. No one likes to tell folks that their tree(s) are gonna die, so it's easier overall on everyone to get something that makes ya smile, rather than hate the 'vendor'. Well, actually, go ahead and hate the vendor. Its legit in this case, huh? ;-)

Have a great day!
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”