GreenBrain

Help! Bonsai leaf drop.

My Japanese Orange bonsai recently suffered a massive recurring scale infestation which I think I have finally eradicated with an insecticidal soap. A week or so after I treated it, it begain losing a lot of leaves and only kept the leaves on one upper branch and the leaves on a shoot of new growth from the main trunk. No more leaves are falling now but I'm noticing die-back on all the branches that lost their leaves.
I'm wondering if I should cut the bonsai down right to the shoot of new growth on the main trunk.

Thanks.

uzeyr

hiya sorry bout ur tree but I think cutting the branches wil reopen the wound so that they wil start loosing moisture again and so will have more die back ,dnt hw it is for orange bonsai but I have seen this with my maples
so I wouldnt advice ctting them further but may be somone knows better hope this helped

GreenBrain

Sealing the pruning wounds with a plant safe sealant would stop any moisture loss from the wounds.

alexinoklahoma

I don't think 'moisture-loss' is the issue here. Were the leaves/branches that are bare affected by the scale? If so, that is why they are losing leaves most likely. There's a good chance of them 'refoliating' eventually unless entire limb is dry/brittle/dead...*then* cut back the dead stuff. Don't cut back live branches unless you want to prune it anyways.

What species are you speaking of? 'Japanese orange' can be used for Pittosporum or Poncirus trees, and each is very different from the other. It would help to know which one you mean :-) Wound sealant may, or may not, be indicated...

Alex

GreenBrain

All of the defoliated branches are completely dead. I just noticed that the infestation has returned along with hundreds of tiny crawling insects in the soil. I'm at my wits end with this thing. I have been trying to eradicate these insects for over a year. As for the exact species I'm not too sure, it has teardop shaped leaves and blooms white flowers before fruiting.

alexinoklahoma

Killing insects is easy. Figuring out why they keep returning is just a bit harder, but easily done. This is assuming that you have applied proper types of bug-killer at appropriate times, *and* taken care of surrounding area(s) that may be inviting the return of these bugs.

You could always get some 'pyrethrin' or permethrin, but not the best use of said products. I have had good luck with Neem oil applied somewhat heavily to soil to get rid of ants and some other crawly that remains un-ID'd. The 'trick' is to keep using the 'poison' at times when newly hatching bugs are due to appear. Kill them before eggs are laid and you break the 'cycle'. Vigilance is a must, as is proper ID of the bug(s).

Any chance of pics? Have you googled images of 'scale'? There are different types, fwiw, but they all succumb to being smothered with water-proof stuff, like 'oil' or detergent sprayed over them (at proper rates). It is frustrating to have to keep after the newly hatched critters, but it is mandatory. Then ya gotta spray some more still... :-)

Curious question: do you keep your soil more on the dryish side, or kinda wet more often than not? Depending on the species you have, it may be prudent to let things kinda dry up while treating it. but it does depend on the species - P trifoliata does not mind a 'drought', but Pitto might (?)...

Alex

GreenBrain

The insects that currently infest my bonsai are soft brown scale, not too sure what the small "wingless fruit fly" insects are.
I tend to let the soil dry a bit before I water it. Every two days or so.
I think it might actually need a repotting/root pruning soon, the root structure in the entire pot is incredibly dense. I'm really nervous about doing it though, I've never pruned bonsai roots before.
I'll get some pictures up soon.
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

alexinoklahoma

Look up fungus gnat for the other bug. I bet that is what those are :-) They love high-in-organics soil that is moist/wet all the time. Watering less usually gets rid of them, and they cause little harm, but are pesty things to have around no matter.

You definitely have to keep after the scale, probably at least three well-timed applications of the soapy water (to smother them) or other 'alternative' spray.

Look here https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107301311.html

and here https://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/scale.htm

plus here https://www.extento.hawaii.edu/Kbase/Crop/Type/c_hesper.htm

Scale *is* beatable, but need to use the right approach and be super-persistent. Do you have many ants around there??

Alex

GreenBrain

Thanks,
There are not a lot of ants around here, I live in downtown Victoria in an apartment.

alexinoklahoma

I asked about ants as apparently they are usually around a certain type of scale (seen at more than one URL, but forget which type of scale mentioned). Good luck!

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”