lonepalm

Please help me identify this bonsai

[img]https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/lonepalm15/DSCN0903NewBonsaiTree.jpg[/img]

I just got this bonsai as a gift. The person who gave it to me said it was a ficus. It also resembles a jade. So could someone help me positively identify my new little tree? Thanks so much!! :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

lonepalm,

Definitely not a Jade, their leaves are much fleshier as are their stems, which are not as woody. It looks a little different than the Ficus I am growing but there are different species and varieties available. A quick look a Jerry's site, [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]Bonsai Hunk[/url], leads me to think that it may be a round leaf variety of [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/pic/FmicrJPgWeb/Photo2.jpg]F. microcarpa[/url]. This site has much of the basic information on Ficus so if we have not already directed you there for your Schefflera make sure to check it out.

A couple of other thoughts come to mind. Now you can see first hand what a free draining bonsai soil is like. When you decide to re-pot your Schefflera this is what you are aiming for. I bet the water pours through pretty easily, right?

Also, I see dry spots in the pot. I appears to me that you have not thoroughly saturated the soil. Make sure when you water that you wet the entire surface of the soil. Use enough water that it runs freely from the drainage holes. Your goal is to completely/uniformly wet the entire soil mass. You will need to do this in the sink or a basin of some sort. Don't try to manage how much water you give, instead manage the frequency of your waterings.

Norm

lonepalm

Hi Norm,

Thanks for identifying my tree for me....I will check out the information on the site you sent to me. I probably have been on it before when I was seeking information on my Scheff. I will also make sure my new little tree is sufficiently watered. I water both of them about once a week from the top and keep a humidity tray for both. This has worked for my Scheff, now I just have to see how my new little one reacts. I do water them till the water starts draining from the holes in the bottom of the pot...but I may have been too "light" handed with the new one...the pot is much bigger than my Scheff's pot. I did buy a special bonsai mix when I planted my little cutting, and it is just like the mix that both trees are planted in...so I guess that will be good for when I re-pot my Scheff.
Thanks again for all the great info you share with me...I greatly appreciate it.
Liz :flower:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I might also add, that from what I know about ficuses, that it appears to me to be a Ficus benghalensis. I am making this judgement based on the round, pit-like leaf scars I can see on the branches, and by the shape of the leafs. The important thing to remember with this type of ficus is that the leafs tend to grow huge on them if unchecked, so cutting back and diligent defoilation is a must with this species to keep it in bonsiable condition.

lonepalm

Hmmm....thank you Bonsaiboy. I think that this particular tree will take more care than my little Schefflera. I will look up information on pruning it and hopefully I will be as successful with it as I have been with my Scheff. Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.
Liz

:flower:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”