bonbon
Newly Registered

Dying Bonsai Tree

Hello I found this site on Google in desperate help for my bonsai tree I bought at the fair. It is a year old and I think it is a juniper. The man I bought it from said that I should only water it twice a week (2 oz) and not to put it in direct sunlight. He didn't say that I couldn't keep it inside. He also gave me a small bottle with green liquid. I think my tree is dying b/c the leaves are brittle and some of the branches are brown. How do I keep the branches hydrated and is it too late???

Please someone help me!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi bonbon, if the leaves are brittle, the plant is probably not being watered enough. Don't judge the water needs of your plant by some proconcieved schedule. Test the soil with a tooth pick. Immerse the toothpick in the soil; if there is no dirt stuck to the toothpick after immersion, the plant needs watering.

A juniper should definately be kept outside. Inside it will only suffer and slowly die on you.

(Are you sure that it is a Juniper? Does the tree have large flat leaves or small needles? (which, are also leaves))

Misting is a good way to ensure that the leaves are recieving enough moisture. Daily misting will probably be a good thing for your tree. Also, if your soil (or rather) the trees soil is parched and dry; immerse the entire pot into a sink of water for about an hour. This will give your tree a good watering.

Doing this about once a week should be adequate for watering but, like I said: check the soil.

The green stuff is probably some sort of fertilizer but, I would just buy a bottle of liquid seaweed fertilizer if I were you. Dilute as per the instructions on the bottle.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Bon Bon,

Brittle is not good; brown is worse. This tree is probably entering permanent dormancy, end phase mortality, whatever you want to call dead. With the care instructions you were given I am suprised that it has lasteed as long as it has; that's not a lot of water and I suspect that the soil is not really bonsai soil at all for it to have survived as long as it did.

MIsting and a good soaking of the pot are all great ideas assumiong something is left alive, but I am not hopeful. Most bonsai in the States are sold by unqualified persons out to make a killing quickly; malls, fairs, tradeshows and such are likely places for these "growers" to show up...

Once again, this is a good reason to buy from a reputable garden center...

:cry:

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”