pepper92
Newly Registered

Dwarf bonsai IN New York City

My dwarf bonsai was growing well and sprouting new leaves and branches until fall arrived here in the northeast (NYC) . I have kept the plant indoors always and am now experiencing the heartache of watching the leaves fall off. Is this normal for a tropical plant to drop leaves -- I keep the plant in sunlight for a few hours aday--- can it survive the new york winter lighting problem -- is it ok for the leaves to fall off -- help !!! :(

kdodds
Greener Thumb

What species of tree is this?

Gnome
Mod

pepper92,

Also please give some more detail on the conditions the tree has been kept in. Such as which way does the window face, how long have you owned it? Has the use of central heating, or anything else, coincided with the problem? How have you been watering? Etc, etc. The more information you provide the greater the possibility that we will be able to help.

Norm

Gnome
Mod

Pepper wrote:
Gnome
my daughter brought plant home from florida last spring and plant has done well with exposure to a south facing window that only receives sunlight in early afternoon --- watering is done about once a week directly on soil soaked and it drains off--- my concern is ---- is it ok for the leaves to fall off in the fall or is tree in crisis ---- as for heating last week the heating did kick in at night --- not so much this week --
pepper92

Gnome
Mod

Pepper,

I'm afraid without an ID it is still rather difficult to offer any specific advice.
If you do not know the species can you post a few pictures please. They may not be much help if the foliage is dropping but we'll try. Here are some tips for hosting pictures. There are two options outlined, choose one.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

If your tree is located too close to the heat source this may be part of the problem.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”