uzeyr

red maple good buy or not?

hello everyone
funny story here when I went to get my latest bonsai (pepper tree) I noticed that there was a group planting of five maples inside the glass house thisi s where they keep indoor trees(this was almost two weeks ago).so any way I wanted to buy the trees but they had no leaves on them apart from the tallest one it had three red maple leaves thats how I know it was red maple any way went back yesterday and noticed that they had halfed the price of the maple plantting so me being me I went and bought it thing is I have no idea on how to keep maples japanese red maples at that so any way like I described there are five trees no leaves on any except the talles (which has three leaves that are all scorched )any way all the have buds I can se them and below I can see white roots forming at the holes just a few though now I'm thinking the plants are alive what would u suggest I do with them keep them outside or inside?and was it a good buy or not?and will the buds burst now or later?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

Whether you got a good deal is impossible to say. You have not shown a picture or given a good description, nor have you said what you paid. Regardless of those factors, worth is a hard thing to quantify, it is said that a thing is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it. It is a subjective thing, if you are satisfied then that is all that really matters.

I have a Maple (Korean) that has already lost all of its leaves for the season and I don't expect to see any new growth until next spring. I would be surprised if you did either. Maples definitely need their winter dormancy so this is not a species I would try to manage indoors.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerPalmatum.html
https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/japanese-maple.html

Norm

uzeyr

well I bought it for ...£6 I will try post a picture of the planting when my camera is in order.thing is its not me who tried to manage it indoors in the garden centre it was indoors and waht I'm asking is where I should keep it since there are buds all over the tree I'm thinking wat if indoors the buds burst and leaves apper then it will ahve a prob in winter and if I keep it outside wahts to be come of the trees?

also I just wired the planting how long would u say I keep the wire on?[/img][/url]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

Leave it outside for now. It is still early in the (dormant) season. Read the articles posted below and make your preparations. I allow all my temperate trees to remain unsheltered until around Thanksgiving, the end of November. They need to experience the shortening days and the cool nights in order to properly begin their dormant period. After a few frosts some come inside to an unheated garage and some are mulched in well outside in a sheltered location.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Something of which you may be unaware, uzeyr: many maples will 'set' their buds in the Fall; looks like they are about to 'pop', but they need warming temps to trigger them (amongst other factors, of course)... LOTS of my various Acer types have nice shiny 'new' buds up and down the trunk at internodes, but I know most of them will wait for Spring to emerge (I hope and pray anyways, LOL!). Maples that flower/seed in Spring tend to have bigger 'buds' in Fall, I believe - not 100% certain of this, but makes sense to me anyways. Seems they would need a bigger 'package' to deliver the goods right away rather than later in growing season ;-)

Does that kinda address the concern of buds popping too soon? It is pretty much normal appearance for maples, IME...

Alex

uzeyr

hi
so let me get this straight the bud are ther bud nothing will or should happen up until spring which will be in march
but anyway they should be ok

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
so let me get this straight the bud are ther bud nothing will or should happen up until spring which will be in march
but anyway they should be ok
Correct, next years buds are set this year. Unless your trees are horribly confused by the way the retailer handled them nothing should happen until next spring.

Norm

uzeyr

hi well lets hope they did keep them well because as I said earlier the other maples were outside while the ones I bought were inside so I thats why I thought the buds would burst
any way thnx for the help
will keep u posted on their progress

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”