Vixen
Newly Registered

bonsai dying?

Hey guys I'm new here... nice to meet you guys btw. :D .
Em I bought a bonsai tree from a place in the UK (peterborough) and it was one of the outside bonsai's. Ok it had a lil label on it stating:

Crassula Sarcocaulis
Evergreen. Semi-hardy with red flower in late summer.
Requires light to moderate watering, do not over water.
Keep evenly moist. Trim new shoots as required.

Ok so thats all the information I have about it. Now ive had it for 2 weeks ive been watering it everyday and spraying its leaves at the same time, 2 days ago I looked at it and basically all the greenery eg leaves and all of the flowers I had on it have dropped off... its like they shrivelled up.

I admit I had been keeping it inside because I was worried my cats might eat it but its now outside...

I was just wondering if anyone had any input on why it looks basically dead. (just minus the leaves)...

anyone?

I bet this sounds silly :cry:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Crassula is a Jade plant and as such, DEFINITELY not in need of everyday watering. I'm betting your leaf drop is water related; you are likely killing with kindness...

Let's look at the plant; it's an alpine variety. That means it's used to rocky scree, with sharp drainage. And it's succulent, a development usually associated with dry conditions. Over wintering this one requires dry situations; wet conditions will rot it. And the watering needs to be much curtailed; let the soil surface dry, even down a bit, before watering again.

Let this one dry out in full sun for a day or two (few succulents like less than full sun; this is another possible reason for leaf drop...) If new shoots don't appear in a week, I'd say it's a goner, but these are tough, montane plants; don't give up hope...

Scott

Vixen
Newly Registered

:o Thank you very much!
I realised I wasnt supposed to keep it inside, but I didnt realise about the watering. All that ive read up it says not to let the soil dry... or when the top soil dries to then water it again or else your stopping the plant excreting all its wastes and wateva. Well I wont water it then but it has been out in the sun a lil and it has been very hot these past 2 days, yesterday was 31 degrees C.

I was wondering if I should keep it in the pot and soil its in. What its in atm is just a normal round bonsai pot, with some soil and fine gravel over the top and thats how I bought it. Is there anything I can do or should I just leave it unwatered in my garden for a week?

Thanks very much again! Maybe that would shed soem light :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Keep an eye on it especially as you've had it indoors; full sun might be a bit of a shock. Drying it out seems imperative, but a week may be excessive. Check it in two or three days...

S

Vixen
Newly Registered

Ok thanks alot. Ill let you know how it goes.

Vixen
Newly Registered

ok at the moment my bonsai I know is alive due to when a small end of a branch came off its still green inside. Which is always a good thing.

Vixen
Newly Registered

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!

ive just had a look at my bonsai after last nights storm to make sure it was ok... because it was out in it and well it has at least a dozen new buds sprouting all over the plant!
I'm really happy and I proved my whole family wrong and it is alive and not dead like they suggested!

I just wanted to say thanks :D

webmaster
Site Admin

That's really cool, congratulations!
:D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Like I said, that's a tough genus and that particular species looks a bit tougher than the rest. Now you have the info you need to keep it for the rest of your days (and then some...)

Once a week watering when it gets a full head of hair again... :)

Scott

Vixen
Newly Registered

ok so what if it rains once in a week? no need to water...

or another thing I'm worried bout is when winter comes and it gets frosty and rains almost constantly... what do I do then?

:D the bonsais looking even better today! :D

On a different thought to that, I'm going to get an indoor bonsai tree, but I'm not too sure what type I should go for.. Ive seen various types at different shops, for instant homebase sell 'ficus' and some unmarked ones, places like van hages do quite a range of different bonsai's, of a particularly nice one being the thousand star or something...

any insight on nice ones to go for?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I like ficus for beginners; very forgiving.

As for the wintering of the crassula, you need to bring it indoors to a porch or garage where you have some control of the temp and more importantly, the H2O. Needs to be drier through the winter than most bonsai; I'd check once every two weeks or so and give a LITTLE water when I did...

HG

Vixen
Newly Registered

Ok thanks, best ive got is a concrete shed thing next to my bathroom but it will keep frost off and water so I suppose itll be ok.

OK so ficus is the suggested, fair enough... need to tidy my room to make suffient airy space for one :D ... its a tad messy atm :twisted: not good for a new college student... things usually need to be tisy :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Uh-oh, a student...

No watering with beer, or hanging clothes on the tree. And remember to take them home for holidays!

Uncle Scott

Vixen
Newly Registered

oh so funny, no I'm one of the more maturer students, no beer for me....................

only spirits! lol, but nah no chance of parties at my house or alcohol with my little brother and sister here :) .

but anyways, I keep tropical fish too, so if I did have parties I can assure that someone would put beer in one of my tanks, so I never want a party here!

Thanks for your help though :roll:
should be gettin an indoor bonsai soon, just got to afford it now, costs an arm and a leg to get to college on the bus u know!! :roll: :(

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”