crazy8

Jack Pine Seeds?

I'm new here and saw there was a Bonsai section and couldn't resist. I tried to grow some jack pine seeds I got in a little kit at Barnes and Noble and it failed badly. So anyway my friend and I both are interested in growing some bonsai so I am curious if anyone may have any Jack Pine seeds or knows where some can be had?

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work here.

alexinoklahoma

*LOTS* of places sell seed - use Google ;-) However, a pine 'bonsai' from seed is likely not what you are thinking it will be anytime soon...do a bit of reading to see the time-frame(s) involved just to make sure. From seed, I'd guess at least 10 years before anything even remotely 'bonsai' appears (if I am assuming correctly anyways)... Certainly doable, to be sure.

I have heard of plenty of folks collecting/purchasing Jacks and starting from *that* point w/ little probs (w/ patience, too), so its not too hard w/ that species, I believe.

Alex

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just a ditto...

Year 1, clip the leader and let grow. Year 2, clip the new leader, trim the main branch if necessary, let grow. Year 3, clip leader, trim main branches 1 & 2 if necessary, and remove unwanted branches/branchlets. Year 4, repeat year 3, adding a third branch. Year 5, see year 4, adding a branch. Year 6, YAY! you have five branches, minimum bonsai material. :) Now real training can begin, if younhaven't done more than clip yet. After a couple of years of training, it will START to look like something, so maybe not a decade, but close enough.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”