uzeyr

please help pepper tree look like its in trouble

hi every1 rem the pepper tree I bought well the leaves are begining to yellow and they falling not all the ones in the inside of the tree only the tree lookin ok but here and there they are yelow leaves dnt knw what to do I really like this tree
the tree has moss covered in the pot base so is that a problem for the tree mostly the leaves are yellowing on the inside part I.e the insides of the apex and that around the insides of the branches

I would also like to know bout the watering and positioning of the tree cause when its sunny I move the tree to a sunny window then in the evening I move it back in to my room
the species is japanese pepper tree
its so beautiful I dnt want it to die so please help

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

The first thing I would do is remove the moss. I suspect that it is not really growing anyway and is just sort to stuffed around the trunk. Is that correct? This seems to be primarily a shipping aid similar to the glued on rocks we often see in commercially prepared bonsai. If those rocks are on your tree they should be removed as well. All of this stuff only gets in the way of judging the condition of the soil and proper watering.

Which brings me to a few questions. How have you been watering it? What is the weather like in your area now and are you able/willing to keep this tree outside or are you set on trying indoor bonsai?

Read the general growing sticky at the top of the forum for some tips on watering. I try to move my trees around as little as possible but I can't help much with the specifics of this species as I have never even seen one in person.

Norm

uzeyr

hi
well to answer a few questions the tree is meant to be insaide so its gona stay indoors
the moss is stuck pretty hard on the tree it really looks like its growing on it there are no rocks and well.
I don't water it much really though I do spray it everyday twice the tree is on the window sill and there is a radiator just below it the window receives alot of sunshine
am currently in manchester so u can imagine what the weather is like rainy et all

alexinoklahoma

What is exact species? There are several 'pepper trees' out there and care varies. Some are *not* 100% indoors, iirr. And one type will die if soil ever dries (again, iirr)...

Check this species for full ID confirmation -> Zanthoxylum piperitum (or schinifolium?) Then google for specific care :-)

HTH,
Alex

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
well to answer a few questions the tree is meant to be insaide so its gona stay indoors
Consider that for a moment, no trees evolved inside and therefore no trees are meant to be inside. There are some that tolerate an indoor situation better than others and the species and climate does play a role in this as well but to say that it belongs inside is simply incorrect. It may need to be brought indoors for a part of the year but most trees do much better if they are outside during the appropriate portion of the year. This is especially true if you are relying upon natural lighting. It is possible to maintain some species indoors year-round but it requires more from the grower.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”