fitgrl71
Newly Registered

Boxwood care

:?: Hi
I recently bought a boxwood bonsai. Can anyone help me out with instructions on how ofen to water, what to use for fertilizer and how much and where to buy it and any other info would be appriciated.
Thanks so much
>^..^<

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

fitgrl71,

The truth is that it is not necessary to purchase specific bonsai fertilizer although it certainly is available. Bonsai are much like any other potted plants in their requirements in this regard. If you keep other potted plants or even other plants in the garden I assume you occasionally fertilize them or are you completely new to gardening?

Whatever fertilizer you already have on hand, or can purchase locally, is almost certainly suitable as long as you do not fall into the trap of thinking that more is better. Most folks probably are under fertilizing their trees (especially if they are in a proper medium) but to start with it is better to err on the side of caution.

The watering is covered pretty well in the sticky that jmmv08 was kind enough to refer you to but I have been meaning to update the portions on fertilizing and location as I have other areas of the sticky.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Memorize this stuff for a decent start ;-)

www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

Not sure if Brent lists boxwood care in his site, but they are tough, but dislike strong sun when it is rather cold outside as leaves can yellow somewhat (best outdoors though sometimes OK indoors for portions of seasons, I hear)...

Alex

slx2007

Here is the Boxwood info from Bonsai International. Enjoy

Boxwood - Buxus sp.

https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/boxwood.html

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

slx2007,

Thanks for pitching in. Could you please post a link to this information (and the Trident thread as well) so that we can delete this text. I am concerned about copyright issues. Thanks.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Gnome: I do believe the info is lifted from the site of -> https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/indexgen.html A good site at upper end of my Bookmarks, fwiw...

That's the page to choose whether 'Botanical' or 'common name' listings :-) You beat me to the posting, LOL!

Alex

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Alex,

Thanks for the link. I have seen it before but could not seem to locate it today. :oops:

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”