little_atara
Newly Registered

Does anyone know what type of tree this is?

Hi!

I just bought this bonsai from Ikea and it doesn't say what type it is:( Can anyone help?

[img]https://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp203/little_atara/P1010002.jpg[/img]

Also, is there anything specific that this plant requires as the instructions are rather vague and were the same for all the bonsai they had?

Thanks in advance!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

This is a ficus. First, explore the following website on them: https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html If you still have questions after that, be sure to ask them. Be sure as well to read the stickies at the top of the forum as well, so you know a bit on indoor lighting and soil for bonsais.

little_atara
Newly Registered

Thanks so much!! Will do :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaiboy,

How certain are you of this ID? I can see one area on this plant that definitely has the leaves arranged in an opposite fashion. My Ficus, and admittedly I only have one variety, have their leaves in an alternating pattern.

Norm

uzeyr

hi judgind by the size and shape of the leaves I would say this is a chinese privet I have kept many in the past they are very hardy when it comes to watering they also are vigorous growers when kept in the sun I am positive this is a chinese privet the new leaves are lighter and the leaves are oval with a bendy sort of appearance this is a privet
hope that helped

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Oops! I must have overlooked that! My interpritation was based mostly on the roots, leaf shape, and bark texture. I accedentaly must have overlooked one of the most inportant identification features; the leaf arrangement. Sorry about that :(

alexinoklahoma

And I went digging through many leaf pics of Ficus myself, LOL... Was pretty sure it wasn't but wanted to know for sure :-)

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”