yag
Newly Registered

Ilex Crenata 7 years old.

Hi all;

I have been given an Ilex Crenata which is 7 years old, and has a height of 23cm. The problem is that I'm not even sure whether it is an indoor or outdoor bonsai.
I live in a flat in Gothenburg Sweden. I can put the bonsai in a balcony where it can see the morning sunlight or in front of a window (indoors) where it will recieve afternoon sunlight.
I also have some questions about watering. I have read here and learned about the toothpick test but I just wanted to be sure: I stick a toothpick to the soil and if there is no soil on it I should water the plant? How much water and how should I water like using a cup or some other equipment.

Thanks for your care,
I do not want to kill my bonsai in just a week = /

Gnome
Mod

yag,

Hello and welcome. I have no first hand experience with this species so my comments will be general in nature.
I live in a flat in Gothenburg Sweden. I can put the bonsai in a balcony where it can see the morning sunlight or in front of a window (indoors) where it will recieve afternoon sunlight.
I would choose the balcony although some protection may be required during the coldest months of winter, see the link below for specific recommendations.
I also have some questions about watering. I have read here and learned about the toothpick test but I just wanted to be sure: I stick a toothpick to the soil and if there is no soil on it I should water the plant?
I don't use this method myself but I did try it out and it works well with a somewhat heavier soil. I suspect it would not be a good indicator if you have a free draining, open soil. After a while you will find that you will no longer need it as you will become accustomed to each of your plants needs.

Anyhow, I used a bamboo skewer, the type used for cooking but any thin dowel or a portion of a chopstick will work as well. The skewer is left in the soil and removed daily to check for moisture. If the wood is damp to the touch there is still moisture in the soil. You can touch the skewer to your cheek or wrist and it is pretty easy to feel if there is moisture present.
How much water and how should I water like using a cup or some other equipment.
Don't try to judge how much to water, instead always water thoroughly and try to judge when to water. I use a watering can with a fine head so as not to disturb the soil.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ilex.html

Norm

yag
Newly Registered

Thanks for your answer. Currently my bonsai is not in the best shape due to shipping I think -the leaves are little bit dry (I'm not sure dry is the best word, but if you touch not very gently they fall off)- I hope it will get better...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”