kdodds
Greener Thumb

New Bonsai (starters) coming.

I finally broke down and committed to purchasing a Chinese Elm starter. Two actually. They're on the way and should be here tomorrow. One is actually U. parvifolia "Hokkaido", a morph with super-small leaves (1/8"). Also coming are a Kingsville Boxwood and Brush Cherry (Eugenia myrtifolia). Only the Cherry is really regularly grown as an indoor bonsai, but the others are occasionally grown indoors. Wish me luck. :)

The Elm (normal variant) is actually fairly well along, with a 3/4" trunk, decent branching, and a very nice nebari and was less than $20. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kdodds,

Please post pictures when your new victims, err subjects, arrive. I am especially interested in the Elms. That seems like a decent price for an established starter.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

:lol: Yeah, I think victims might be more appropriate for the Elms and Boxwood, but I've wanted to try them indoors for a while now. We'll see what happens. I'll see what I can do on the pics, I'm not really a great photographer to begin with and time is almost always pressing.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I always thought that boxwoods were a temperate to cool subtropical bonsai, but I've been wrong before! Let us know how the boxwood works out for you.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

They are, more or less, not a tropical genus as far as I know. The Kingsville boxwood, Buxus microphylla v. japonica, however, is listed in many references as hardy to Zone 11, which is, well, pretty much as tropical as you can get, being the zone for Hawaii. I've heard mixed reviews about keeping them indoors, some very good, some not so good, and was originally going to go with an African species similar in appearance, but not Buxus sp. But since I was trying the Elms and they had the Boxwood available, I thought I'd give it a try. I'll definitely keep you posted if you're interested. FWIW, most of the references I've read on the species state that a cold room (50ºF) is preferred during the winter. I may see what I can come up with if I think that's necessary.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Okay, update...

First, the Chinese Elm. Nice size, some BAD cuts not evidenced in the photos due to overgrowth. The trunk is nice and fat, though. The nebari was also artfully displayed since it is lopsided and there is a crossing root. Still, I'm not really into showing and it is a nice little tree for under $20.

Second, the Hokkaido. It's really hard to appreciate how nice this tree is for bonsai. Sure, you hear 1/8" leaves, and you think, "wow, that's tiny". But, until it's in front of you, it's difficult to appreciate exactly HOW tiny. The leaves are the same shape and form as a "normal" Elm, just very, very small. I have high hopes for this little tree.

Third, the Kingsville Boxwood. Nice little tree, not much to say one way or the other. It, like everythig else, is very healthy, well started, and came exceedingly well packaged. Potted in Akadama, there's not much for me to do with this (or any of the others) until next spring, really.

Fourth, the Eugenia. Very well started, but I'm probably going to be married to a broom style here. No biggie, as it's already VERY well formed into a broom. Can't wait to get this one repotted into something not plastic.

All in all, for $60, with the shipping, a great deal.

moulman
Cool Member

Hey kdodds,

Where did you buy these? I can't find an hokkaido anywhere except sticks. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Mine's little more than that. It's a 2 year cutting. I got them off of e-bay from csnurs. I believe Meehan's Miniatures carries both "Hokkaido" and "Seiju" dwarf elms. Both sport the 1/8" leaves, and might even be synonyms, I don't know.

alexinoklahoma

Seiju is a sport of/from Hokkaido. It is a tad bigger, but in proportion to Seiju, I believe

Here's B Walston's take on these -> https://evergreengardenworks.com/ulmus.htm I just may have to get a couple of these with how well Ulmus does here :-)

HTH,
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”