thelad
Newly Registered

Making a evergreen Azelea(Giesha Lilac) into a bonsai

Subject: Making a evergreen Azelea(Giesha Lilac) into a bonsai

Hi there

I have just started to learn the art Of Bonsai and we have some Ever Green Small Leaved Azelea's one (Giesha Lilac) the other s are Red and Orange I think,and I would like to prune and make them into a Bonsai's

When would the best time to do this

How much can I prune from the shrub

How do I go about it

Any help would be most grateful before winter sets in (Date now 6th September)

I live in the Wirral near Chester England

Many thanks

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

My advice is to read a few books on bonsai before doing anything. Visit a library or book store and see if you can find books on bonsai. Also, do some internet research on azelea as bonsai. Hope this helps.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jim,

By all means continue your research. Now is not the correct time of year to begin the transformation of an Azalea. Next spring is the time to begin the work on your shrub. You have not given much in the way of detail. Is the plant a young specimen in a pot or an established individual in the ground?

The usual advice is to do pruning after the bloom, but this advice is offered assuming you are concerned with the seasons flowers. It is also somewhat of a carry-over from Japan where their climate is different than other areas. If flowering is not a concern (which it should not be when developing a bonsai) then pruning can be performed earlier.

Study your specimen and try to discern a trunk line. Many Azaleas have branches that diverge from the base which makes finding an appropriate trunk line difficult. Once you have determined the outline of your future bonsai begin to remove superfluous branches. Leave stubs at first to allow for die back. Azaleas bud back very well so do not be too concerned with final branches at an early stage of development, they can be developed later.

I have had a rather poor track record with this species which I suspect is due to the hard water in my area. Be aware that this is an acid loving species.

Norm

thelad
Newly Registered

Hi All

Thanks for your repiles they are most welcome and I will take head of your suggestions

The plant to our reckoning has been in our garden for over 10 years that we have managed to work out between The Boss (the wife) and I and its has flowered every year

This time however because of injuries to both shoulders I am not as able to maintain our garden like I used to, so this is the reason and questions about making it into a Bonsai

There are many branches and like you suggest I need to find out what route I should take and take it from there

I presume I could prune back now and leave stubs on branches that I don't require

At the moment the Azelea's are in large pots and maybe later I should maybe put them in a unheated greenhouse to protect over winter

I will make that I have them in the right acid loving compost

Many thanks for all your advice

Take care all happy gardening or bonsai careing

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jim,
I presume I could prune back now and leave stubs on branches that I don't require
You don't want to encourage new growth this late in the season. The real question is what is to be gained from rushing, I would wait. After you prune away unwanted branches the stubs will likely push new shoots. Since you want the stubs to die back naturally they should be rubbed off as they form. Other shoots that form on the actual trunk can be left. They could possibly help with your finished design or be left on for a number of years to help thicken the trunk and removed later.
At the moment the Azelea's are in large pots and maybe later I should maybe put them in a unheated greenhouse to protect over winter
Winter protection certainly would not hurt. If you've managed these plants for ten years now you should have an idea how to overwinter them. Or am I mis-reading your post?

Norm

thelad
Newly Registered

Norm

Many thanks for you reply and I will do as you suggest thank you

"You don't want to encourage new growth this late in the season"

I agree there is no point at this stages pruning as after 10 years waiting another few months is nothing, so round about March April 09 I will prune back and remove unwanted branches after flowering

The reason I sugggest winter protection was to try and protect new growth, but now that will not be an issue The shrubs have faired well in the open ground over the years and after putting one into a tub last October which had lots of flower heads I reckon they all should be fine

Keep up the good work and all the helpful advice

Remember A Stranger Is just A Friend You Do Not Know

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”