terri m
Newly Registered

Brown Needles on Japanese Juniper

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble getting to the right forum. Hopefully this is it. I have 2 japanese junipers that I got about 2 months ago. I have
them in a south facing sun room not heated or airconditioned. They get
some morning and afternoon sun but not direct sun. They have a few brown needles on the underside of the branches, and did when I bought them. Is this ok or should they be removed? Is the sun room ok? The
rest of the folage looks healthy and has new growth. Please help.
thanks so much . Terri

arboricola

terri;

You can knock the brown needles off if you want. They really don't hurt anything.

Junipers are difficult to grow indoors. They need a long cool rest during winter. If your sunroom gets down to at least 40 degrees in winter and stays there, they should be alright. If not it would be better if they were outside.

Phil...

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Yeah, and they really need to open air, etc., that they'd get from being outside as well. So if the sun room's windows are left open, that would also be better.

terri m
Newly Registered

Hi I appreciate the advice from Phil and kdodds. I have decided to
keep my junipers outside and they do look better! I will only bring
them into my sunroom if it gets really cold. How cold is too cold for them to be outside? I prefer not to bury them as I have read in some of the
research I have done. What is your advice? Thanks
Terri

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Burying the pot is probably not necessary with most junipers, but they should be sheltered. The best solutions I've seen involve small outdoor garden boxes/greenhouses into which the plants are placed and then covered in mulch up to the pot rim. At least these look like the most easily managed solutions, if not the most protective.

BEEMERW

Just from experience. I had several Junipers, as I wrote in the past....do not try to prune in the winter. they will brown and you will think they are drying out, but , they die. I used to give just a littl water inside and mine was very green. My mistake was to trim new growth. Barb

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”