Jgaut
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai

Hello,
I was given a Juniper Bonsai Tree as an anniversary gift and so far I think I'm doing ok. I pruned a little bit of it today but I'm not sure if that was a good idea right now, was it?

when I took it out of the box it was all nice and green and now I see some of the leaves turning brown. What can that be?

when I first got it I was leaving it outside during the day and bringing it inside in the evening and I have central air but now I leave it outside and water it everyday. how do I know if I planted incorrectly?

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Hi Jgaut.

I'm a complete newb at this too so take my advice with a grain of salt, but from the research I've been doing, you shouldn't be watering your Juniper everyday. Junes prefer a dryer soil than others and you should only water it when you can't feel moisture about an inch down in the soil. Depending on where you live they like a day or two without water until they dry out a little, then you soak them and repeat the process.

At least that's what I've learned so far. You can't water on a schedule. You have to water based on soil moisture. Hope that helps.

Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cuda

Jgaut
Newly Registered

I won't water for a couple of days given it doesn't need anymore :D . thanx!! I'll update friday and let you know how it's going. thanx again!

Cuda52774
Cool Member

No problem, and since I have a Juniper also I thought I'd pass along this article I found.

Good luck!

https://www.nebonsai.com/Juniper.pdf

Cuda

Jgaut
Newly Registered

it is a good article, thank you! if all goes well with this bonsai I'm planning on growning one from scratch, I found some other articles about the Juniper, I'll post them when I get home. are you from NE?

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Nope, I'm a Georgia boy. :wink:

Found another great Juniper link on Bonsai4me.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

Enjoy.

BTW, you need to post a pic of your tree so we can see it! 8)

Cuda

Jgaut
Newly Registered

I've been off line for a while. The Bonsai tree is alive and looking good, thanx for the info. I'll touch base again!!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”