Cuda52774
Cool Member

Turface or Calcined Clay on Ebay....

What do you guys think of this?

https://cgi.ebay.com/Calcined-Clay-by-the-pound-Genuine-Turface_W0QQitemZ120284671938QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking of buying this. Looks pretty cheap and I have a small Juniper that's doing pretty well but still has the compact organic soil from the seller. I know it's a little late to be repotting, but I am worried about the lack of air and slow drainage my Jun is getting. So should I buy this and repot now, or buy it and wait for spring, or not buy it at all because it's just all wrong for me? :wink:

Thanks for the help. I'll be posting pics of my Jun and questions later concerning my new affinity for Bonsai.

Cuda
Last edited by Cuda52774 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I would purchase some connifer bonsai soil, since that seems to have no organic pieces to it. Connifers, from what I've read like a little pine bark in there soil.

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Do you know where I can get connifer bonsai soil?

Cuda

rondo769
Cool Member

Go to the local napa auto parts store and get a bag of there diatomeous earth its used to soak up oil spills,it c osts about $6.49 for a 25lb bag.Make sure you rinse it very good let it dry and mix some aged pine bark(you want about 90% de.10%pine bark)If you can't find aged pine bark get some pine bark mulch and grind it in a blender as fine as you can.This is what I use for my pines and junipers and they love it.Use an acid fertilizer as junipers like there soil acidic.You can also mix coarse river sand in your soil mixture

Cuda52774
Cool Member

So as far as fertilizer, would you recommend an Azalea type fertilizer? I know they like acidic soil or would that be too acidic?

Also, once I get this all together, would you recommend going ahead and re-potting, or wait for the spring?

Thanks!

Cuda

rondo769
Cool Member

azalea fertilizer will work fine or miracid from miracle grow will work to.I would not repot until spring.make sure you let the soil dry out a little between waterings.

Cuda52774
Cool Member

I always do. My June usually needs a couple days right now between waterings in 90 degree Georgia humidity.

Thanks Rondo!

Cuda

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

You can get pre-mixed connifer soil here: https://www.bonsai-tools.com/soil/conifer-bonsai-soil/

Cuda52774
Cool Member

Hey Rondo, I'm seeing a lot about alternating fertilizer. Some are saying no nitrogen (cactus) fert. in the late summer and Fall, then alternate between Miracid and regular Miracle Grow come spring.

Is this good advice or am I starting to over think this? Should I just stick to Miracid year round or is there some kind of fertilizer schedule I should be on? It's confusing. :|

Oh and thanks Bonsaiboy for the link!

Cuda

rondo769
Cool Member

I know in the fall alot of people switch to a low nitrogen fertilizer,but during the summer I've haven't alternated fertilizers.Another good fertilizer is Bettergrow orchid fertilizer it's what I use on my japanese black pines it's available at lowe's

Cuda52774
Cool Member

rondo769 wrote:I know in the fall alot of people switch to a low nitrogen fertilizer,but during the summer I've haven't alternated fertilizers.Another good fertilizer is Bettergrow orchid fertilizer it's what I use on my japanese black pines it's available at lowe's
I got some Miracle Grow for Azalea last night and noticed it has a pretty high nitrogen content. Around 25%. I think I'll stick with my 8-7-6 until spring. Would that be considered low nitrogen?

I also saw some .02-.02-.02 at Wal-Mart, but I thought to myself, what's the point? It has almost nothing in it. Seems like it'd get almost the same nutrients from plain tap water. LOL.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”