wilopez2011

Ficus Retusa Bonsai Tree: special fertilizer?

Well, my bonsai tree came with some extremely vague directions on fertilizer. The directions on fertilizer said only to fertilize twice a month, and nothing else. As of now, I'm using just some indoor plant "food spikes". They're compacted fertilizer in a thin, long roll placed in to the soil of the plant. My bonsai's healthy, but should I be using some sort of special fertilizer?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

wilopez2011,

Specialized fertilizer is not necessary, bonsai are just like other plants and will do fine with general purpose fertilizer. I have used both organics and water soluble with good results. I don't like to use the solid plant spikes simply because it takes control away from me. I have used them for houseplants in the past and they never caused any trouble though.

The important thing to remember is that you need to feed regularly especially if your tree is in a free draining soil. During the summer I fertilizer most everything about once every ten days or so. This is not a rigid schedule as sometimes I have other things to do. No more frequently than once a week and I don't usually go any longer than two.

Young trees, in development, are usually fertilized more aggressively than older more established specimens.

Norm

wilopez2011

Hey thanks, so fertilizing my tree every so often won't hurt it? Since me tree is about two years old, would it have to be fertilized often or about twice a month?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Ficuses are heavy feeders, and like to be feed with a liquid fertilizer on a weekly baisis.

wilopez2011

So then, what type of fertilizer would you recommend? A brand name is basically what I'm looking for.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I beilive there was a thread here ealier about fertilizers. Anyway, someone recommended Dyna-Gro because It had trace elements others do not. I'll try and find it...

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Aha! Here it is. It mostly talks about the slow realese kind, but I'd recomend liquid. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8937

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”