eluippold
Newly Registered

One Year old Japanese Maple Bonsai

I just bought three one year old Japanese maples that I would like to Bonsai. I would like to know if they need any special care after the stress of shipping. What is the first thing I should do?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

eluippold,

There is not really anything to do with such young material other than maintain it. It will be a few years before much in the way of training can be attempted. It is a misconception that bonsai are grown out from seed/cuttings and stay small their whole lives. Far more often larger trees are cut down to create bonsai. You can start with such young material but don't make the mistake of trying to create instant bonsai with it, you will be disappointed.

For now just learn to water and fertilize properly. Later you will need to address winter storage as it must be allowed a dormant period. Next spring is the earliest opportunity to really do anything. This allows you some time to begin researching bonsai care and Maples in particular. I suggest 'Bonsai with Japanese Maples' by Peter Adams. Perhaps your local library has a copy. In the meantime:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerPalmatum.html

Norm

eluippold
Newly Registered

Thank you for the info. Now I just need help being patient. Any advice for that :lol: What kind of fertilizer would you suggest and how often?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”