Gareth

Propagating from leaf cuttings

Given the Chinese Elm tree I have is spindly, I took the stems with 6 pairs of leaves or so, and cut them back to 2 in hope of allowing more light into the lower top 1/3 of the tree, but also obviously denser smaller leaves. Obviously this left me with a couple of 8-10cm stalks if you like. I didn't plan to propagate, but given they're softwood green and I read the Summer is a good time for them, I'd rather not have them go to waste.

The pot is a single small pot with drainage holes ideal for establishing roots. The soil is easy drainage 'compost' - the only problem being that it doesn't actually give what's in the compost, which is one of my concerns, as it looks to have no sand or such.

I've read several guides on how to propagate from a leaf cutting. I don't have any hormone rooting powder, though I read Chinese Elms tend to establish roots well.

At the moment, they're in a propagator. By that, I mean a Really Useful Box/Contico box. They have airholes. The pots are kept moist, and the cuttings get a spray to raise the humidity.

The box is kept at a Southern Facing large glass door, in a bright spot, with no direct sunlight. I'm under the impression that in 4-8 weeks (September-October), they'll be rooted, and can be placed into a bigger pot about 6-8cm in depth without the propagator, and be gradually conditioned to the air.

What after that? Do they stay indoors, do I keep them outside in their pots, or should I bury them in the garden for the winter? If kept in pots, should I place mulch on top to stop the shallow roots freezing, or should I plant it with its lowest branch/boughs a little above the soil (but not in contact) and then use mulch as to put the roots deep as possible to prevent freezing? I ask about the pot/garden burial as they're obviously quite young.

arboricola

Gareth;

What you're doing is great, don't change a thing.

As far as the next step, I would keep them indoors over the winter. This will give the cuttings more time to estabish roots and grow a little.

Phil...

Gareth

So care will remain near the same, except they'll be indoors and outside the propagator? Would they need a little sun?

2 days after potting, they seem to be 'sulking' - is this normal or have I already killed them? :lol:

[url=https://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=41141855mm0.jpg][img]https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2842/41141855mm0.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=84721050wa7.jpg][img]https://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2686/84721050wa7.th.jpg[/img][/url]

arboricola

Gareth;

No sun required, just strong light. I would trim the cuttings back to just two leaves. Leave two at the top. Cut the leaves so that you leave a stub.

Phil...

Gareth

Thank you, Phil - All done. Two questions though.

1) Why leave the stubs?

2) Why the top ones?

When I was cutting the lower leaves, my mother stated she would have taken away the top ones, on the basis that when new plants are budding, pinching the bud encourages bushier growth. I've read pinching leave buds out, though can't remember what it was for. I get the feeling she's right, but at this stage of the cuttings life, it's not necessary.

arboricola

Hre's some info that may be helpful to you.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Gareth,
Why leave the stubs?
If you attempt to remove the leaf stems (petioles) from the plant there is a chance that you will damage the underlying latent buds. By leaving the stub you are assured that the bud is safe and later it will drop naturally.

Norm

Gareth

I missed both your replies! Thank you very very much, and I'm just about to begin reading now, Phil.

I did go to top up their soil with water, and barely moving the pot, the remaining two leaves one dropped very easily, with the other one losing just one of it's two leaves. Water didn't even touch the leaves. :? A sign of shock, or a sign of death?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Gareth,
A sign of shock, or a sign of death?
Only time will tell. It is a harsh reality that not all cutting will strike roots. Even professionals with sophisticated misting systems in well managed greenhouses expect a certain percentage of failures. When attempting cuttings, or even seedlings, I always start with more than I think I would ultimately like to survive.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”