Addicted

My ghetto gaahden

This is my ghetto garden,this all started by buying 4 tomato plants not knowing how big they get.Now it is an obsession,I find myself buying more plants every week,never gardened before.
I am going to set up some nice raised beds for next year but for now the kiddie pools and containers seem to work darn good!All my plants are thriving,11 tomato,5 summer squash,I think about 7 or 8 bush bean,4 bell pepper,1 habanero and 6 Hungarian hot yellow peppers.

The kiddie pool on the right has 4 squash,1 hungarian hot pepper and some bush beans.The one to the left of that has 4 bell pepper plants,and the containers to the left of the kiddie pools have my tomato plants,a squash and some more peppers.

[img]https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/kbones_/ghettogaahden001.jpg[/img]

Jason.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Looks mighty fine to me! Kiddie pools are the best!

They make great cat jumbo litter boxes too!

Addicted

They ceratainly do seem to work wonderfull when you have already spent too much money on an impuls buy of plants and soil!!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ummm, I buy them specifically for plants. What does this say about me?

One problem with them is that if you get a lot of rain, some plants can drown or if you're using the kiddie pools for aquatics the plants can float over the edge if you get a deluge. I solved this problem by drilling holes. For the aquatics, I drilled holes about 3" from the top around the kiddie pool. When the water gets too high, they sort of act like over flows. For terrestrial plants, I drill the holes toward the base of the kiddie pool about an inch from the bottom. For marginal and some bog type species of plants, I drill the holes about midway around the perimeter of the kiddie pool.

I even use kiddie pools for propagating some types of plants. You can lower a metal halide over them.

Addicted

So I'm not the only one...LoL.I put a TON of holes in the bottom and lower sides,I'm hoping they drain alright.I have been having a lot of thunder storms lately so in a few days after thye rain stops I'm going to check the soil at the bottom to see how well it drains.

Jason

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Those squash will really take off on you! What is it? A pepper you have in there as well? I would move that guy because very soon the squash will smother it.

Looks good though.

Tomatoe cages don't really work, even determinate tomatoes will outgrow the cages. You have them in fairly small container so they shouldn't get to big but, You might want to get some 6 foot cedar stakes and use them instead. Use old nylons cut into strips to tie the tomatoes to the stakes. Don't use string as it will cut into the tomatoe vines. That gardening tape (for one is made of plastic and does not break down) stretches and doesn't do a very good job.

Also, ferttilize your tomatoes once a week with liquid fish fertilizer diluted as per the instructions on the bottle. Works great.

Addicted

Those squash will really take off on you! What is it? A pepper you have in there as well? I would move that guy because very soon the squash will smother it.

Looks good though.

Tomatoe cages don't really work, even determinate tomatoes will outgrow the cages. You have them in fairly small container so they shouldn't get to big but, You might want to get some 6 foot cedar stakes and use them instead. Use old nylons cut into strips to tie the tomatoes to the stakes. Don't use string as it will cut into the tomatoe vines. That gardening tape (for one is made of plastic and does not break down) stretches and doesn't do a very good job
I figured the hot pepper plant was crammed in there,I'm out of room though!I also have 4 bush bean plants in there!Maybe I will be able to move some stuff in the next few weeks but the squash is my main priority so...I will feel it out.

And for the tomatos I am going to add another cage to the top of the existing cages so they should be tall enough,remember this is my first time growing so this is an experiment,after this year I will know how different plants grow and the space needed for them.The way I see it I have about 30 plants now,if I even do good with half of them I did good,they all seem to be thriving now thopugh.

Addicted

Do you have any pics of fully grown summer squash plants?I Didn't think these would get that much bigger,they are already producing squashes.This is fun!!

Addicted

I should asdd too that the tomato containers may look small but they are about 4 gallons each...maybe close to 5,I thought that was good for tomatoes?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

From what I've read, the bigger the container the better for tomatoes. I've got mine growing in 5-gallon buckets and they seem to be coming along quite nicely.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Kiddie pool, ha! It may look "ghetto" but when you eat your first fruits, you won't knock yourself anymore! Good luck with your garden :)

wolfie

WHoooo Hooo Glad I'm not alone in this addiction thing!

3 years ago while at wal mart I thought hey that little tomato starter kit with a small pot looks like fun! Little did I know how addicting it would be and now 3 years later, half my backyard has turned into my garden with over 140 plants in the ground, and I am chomping at the bit to start my first compost pile! Well I started what I thought was a pile, then my landlord came to mow my lawn and disposed of it all for me LOL Maybe I need to let him know what I am doing HAHAHAHA

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”