Dixana
Greener Thumb

Help identifying please!!!! -- Mulberry

I don't know what this wretched plant is but it's taking OVER. The house, the yard, the foundation, even the siding and gutters!!
Currently I have been following what my friends dad told me (he works for the county) and doing what they do. I cut off the branches as close to the base as I can then paint this nasty thick liquid that he gave me on the cut ends. It is what the county does to get rid of invasive species without hurting other plants. I don't know for sure what it is but it's in a brown bottle and so toxic I have been warned not to get it on my skin....
It seems to be working, but this stuff is EVERYWHERE and it will take me days, maybe weeks to get it all.
I was hoping someone might tell me what it is and have a better way to be rid of it :(
[img]https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Dixana/1279126127.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Dixana/1279126125.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Dixana/1279126124.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like hops. Japanese hops (Humulus japonicus) is very invasive and hard to control. There are images, identification details ... so you can tell if yours is Japanese hops or a different species ... and control information at the links below:

https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/huja1.htm

SkyKero
Cool Member

Yikes .. good luck to you ... all I would be able to tell you that it is a vine -- I know not of much help.

But, I just want to sympathize. I have A LOT of English Ivy on my property and spent a lot of the winter pulling it out (trying not to use chemicals myself). So far, I am still ahead -- but the ivy on the other side of the fence (my neighbor's side) is creeping up again -- especially since I have yummy good dirt on my side) ...

It does grow slower than I can pull it which is an advantage, but I wouldn't be surprised if left alone it would not grow back in a couple of years! So this winter I will once again, pull and pull english ivy -- on my side and on Mary Alice's side. ---the good part is that I enjoy the time with nature.

Long winded! .. sorry ...

Silvia

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I checked out the link and googled more pics of hops. I'm pretty certain that's not this plant.
It grows everywhere, coming up from runners underground. When it grows out it looks like a bush with smooth woody stems.
Whatever it is I hate it :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I must not be awake yet. :oops: You might want to investigate mulberry. It spreads by runners and forms shrubby growth. The leaves can vary quite a lot on mulberry, but some of the forms definitely resemble what your pics show. This pic shows the different shapes of mulberry leaves. They can all be on the same plant at one time, so mulberry can be tricky to ID.

[img]https://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/RedMulberry/RedMulberryLeafWeb.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Kisal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

That's it!!!!!! That's the plant thank you so much Kisel!!!!!
I'm not crazy LOL I thoughtI was nuts seeing two different types of leaves on it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thanks for mentioning the runners and shrubby growth! That was a huge help in ID-ing the plant.

Me? Well, I'm going to go make another pot of coffee. :roll:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Make one for me too considering the last hour of branch cutting and poison painting was a COMPLETE waste of time now that the freak thunderstorm showed up. -sigh- On to research other ways to erradicate mulberry......

mulberry
Newly Registered

I am wondering if you ever got control of your mulberry problem. When I was a child living in Topeka, Kansas, there was an old garage across our alley that had a profusion of mulberries growing above the roof. A friend and I would climb up on the roof of that garage and feast on the berries. We would pick a sackful and take them home and sprinkle sugar on them. They were fantastic and I remember that well and fondly. I am now back in Topeka for my 50th high school reunion. Today I bicycled around my old neighborhood. The garage is gone, and alas it appeared that the old mulberrry tree also, but then I spotted a mulberry leaf and found the old tree with some suckers growing from it. I would love to have a tree like that that I could harvest from. But of course I would need an old garage on an alley to really create the ambience, and perhaps a buddy to share the pleasure of climbing, picking and eating these amazing fruits. Before you go completely crazy about the mulberry problem, I hope you will have the opportunity to taste the fruit. You might change your mind. I took a picture of the leaf, and what was left of the tree, which had been almost killed off by ivy vines and competition from another "weed" tree next to it. But I can't figure out how to attach those photos.

Return to “Plant Identification”