Iviere
Newly Registered

Good red rose suggestions?

Hi everyone!
I am planning to plant some roses in our new house's front yard along the driveway.

After some discussion among the family...we have decided on red roses.
sniff* I wanted white ones..., :cry:
but majority rules! lol :D

We would like them to be in big pots along the driveway.

So I am wondering if I could get some suggestions for red fragrant
continuous bloomers that would like a northern exposure.
I would say there's no shade, so almost full sun.

I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada...........
I believe I am at zone 7b-8? not very sure

Thank you!

momo
Cool Member

I read recently that you can either get a very fragrant red rose or a disease resistant red rose, but never both. Just so you know :wink: You can find disease resistant red roses with a light fragrance, I will include them. I have not personally smelled all of these roses, but my sources say that are fragrant so I believe them. Google: rose 'name' for images.

Here's a list:
Veteran's Honor, Mister Lincoln, Black Magic, Black Cherry, Crimson Bouquet, Lover's Lane, Drop Dead Red, Firefighter, In the Mood, Legends.

The Rugosa 'Robusta' is very fragrant, disease resistant, and continually blooming.

Have you thought at all about a Red/White blend? That way everyone could be happy? Check out 'Double Delight' it is a very fragrant red and white re-bloomer that is popular.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have an Oklahoma red rose. The scent is just incredible. My particular Oklahoma enjoys its location so much that its nickname is "Godzilla." It's larger than any of my other roses BY FAR; its canes are thicker, stronger, and its THORNS are, too. :x It's also the healthiest one: even though black spot, rust, and powdery mildew assault my other roses, all in the "rose area" with Oklahoma, only Oklahoma retains robust health.

It bears for several months here in the Bay Area.

I found a photo of Oklahoma in this gallery:

https://www.justourpictures.com/roses/oklahoma.html

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Iviere
Newly Registered

oh wow!
Thanks Momo and Cynthia! :)
I have just googled the pictures of the roses both of you named.
They all look beautiful and tempting.....
right now, many of them looks similar,
so I'll need to spend time looking at them more carefully and decide.

I am personally thinking maybe I can plant a "double delight" in the backyard?
:wink:

The Oklahoma red rose is nice and dark....will need to make sure it can survive the winter here...
:?

momo
Cool Member

Some roses have better color in cooler climates, be sure to check that out when you're making your decision. When I have trouble choosing between similar roses I look at disease resistance, bloom season, and fragrance. Also, if there are any good public rose gardens or nurseries with large collections of roses go there to look at them (and smell them) in person.

Good luck and happy hunting! :D

Alex Cocker
Newly Registered

I know of a red rose that is both disease resistant and very fragrant and it survives the winters here in the North of Scotland and its called "Alecs Red". However it is a hybrid tea so there wont be a massive abundance of flower. But you will get tall, elegant, large full flowers with glossy foliage.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I love my Mr. Lincoln. :P

The scent is so fragrant and the flower so well formed with the deep rich red soft petals. As well, it is very resistant to mildew. Although, this season I fed with coffee grounds and epsom salts, alternating and thick rich compost/mulch which fed all spring and into summer. :)

Bear in the garden

I would go with a Rugosa there are many shades of red and the smell great and hard to kill, there first to bloom in my back yard and there still blooming after all the other have stopped for the season here a pic of Rosa Rugosa this past April starting to bloom.

Bear

R[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/GardenBear1/pond2003.jpg[/img]

diggerdave
Newly Registered

I wanted to line the drive with fragrant reds. Deb had her way and it is a riot of color.
[url]https://65.18.154.219/digger.com/gallery/rio/rs082309ce5[/url]
Oklahoma is the red on the right at the gate. It was a good rose in Sacramento and is a fantastic rose here in Montana. Here is a link to our Oklahoma album:

[url]https://65.18.154.219/digger.com/gallery/okla[/url]

We have 2 Double Delight that are among the best of our 170 roses. Both DD and Oklahoma are on my favorite 5 roses list in part because of the great fragrance of those rascals.

MysticGardener67

the coast of British columbia has a climate very similar to Scottland, moderate it temerature and generally damp. Lots of moisture coming off the artic currents. these conditions can be difficult for roses because it is very condusive to blackspot and other fungal diseases.

Bearing this in mind, I came up with this rose
[img]https://www.heirloomroses.com/photos/alecs_red-600.jpg[/img]

it is called "Alec's Red" (CORED)
It was developed in Scotland so I am certain that it will do very nicely in your climate.

Cherry red fully double blooms at about 6 inches across, Very fragrant, wuith an oldschool rose scent. Bush grows between 4-5 feet tall and about 3 ft across.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Mystic, that is absolutely beautiful and sounds yummy!

MysticGardener67

drizzle it with chocolate and I could just eat it!
I have sold a few in my day, but never got around to adding one to my collection. I don't like buying plants if I can help it. My garden is all returns, pinchings and gifts.

Never ever had a return on this one.

remind me to start a thread on customer ignorance ha ha

Majenta

In our BC lower mainland garden we grow 'Glad Tidings' a red floribunda that produces large sprays, 'Trumpeter' is a little lower growing and would be good for containers (large). Also a newer one to our garden is 'Haydock Park' which is a beautiful ruby red. We have only had HP for one year, but it is a husky grower and produces very nice, not too large clusters of perfect hybrid tea type flowers.

The hybrid teas I can suggest are 'Grande Amore' a disease resistant hybrid tea from Kordes. This one is a large grower so I'm not too sure how it would be in a pot. The Grandilfora 'Crimson Bouquet' is a real beauty and produces a lot of bloom, and is not too tall here. One of our very favourite red hybrid teas is 'Leibeszauber' another Kordes rose. It has a nice fragrance and is a big producer of bloom.

I believe all of the above roses are available from Pickering Nurseries in Ontario.

Return to “Rose Forum”