biwa

Growing doughnut peach from seed?

I would like to try growing a doughnut peach tree from a pit. I read up on the procedure for getting normal peach pits to germinate, but I can't find any information specifically about doughnut peaches.

It seems like the smaller pits in the doughnut peach would be harder to germinate. So I'm wondering if I need to do something special for them.

Intriguedbybonsai

Seems like doughnut peaches are hybrids of normal peaches. As with any fruit you buy at the grocery store, a tree from the doughnut peach seed may not bare the same fruit as the parent tree. You would need a graft of the parent tree to get the same flat fruit.

biwa

I realize the tree from the pit will be different, but I expect the fruit will still taste yummy and probably be flatter than a normal peach.

The reason I want to grow from seed is because none of my local nurseries sell doughnut peach, and I'm starting to get discouraged with online nurseries. They either forget to ship the trees, they ship them in bad weather, or they ship them on time in good weather but 20-50% of them arrive dead. If I grow them myself, even if I fail to make them germinate it will turn out to be far less frustrating. Hopefully I won't fail though.

Intriguedbybonsai

Well I know of a nursery in my local area that sells them. $55 a tree plus a $55 S&H fee... :?
He has 100% positive feedback so your chances of receiving it in good condition are high.
[url=https://cgi.ebay.com/Prunus-persica-SATURN-DONUT-PEACH-Fruit-Tree-5-gallon_W0QQitemZ220426312952QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33526e9cf8&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_2682wt_941]Doughnut Peach Tree[/url]

applestar
Mod

I really think that nursery trees should be ordered from nurseries as close to your geographical location as possible (adapted climate conditions and shipping stress). I've given up ordering from West coast nurseries for that reason.

I really like Edible Landscaping (eat-it.com) in Virginia, and have purchased many stock from there as well, but a quick glance doesn't show Saturn Peaches. I've purchased from Stark Brothers (starkbros.com) with good results. Healthy plant stock delivered in good condition and at the right planting time. Only caveat is that they're rootstock selection is limited. They're located in Louisiana, MO 63353. Another source that really looks good and I *would* order from (though haven't yet) is Adams County Nursery in PA (acnursery.com) They both have Saturn Peach listed. I've also ordered from Miller Nurseries in NY but I rather think that's too far north for you. There were several other nurseries in Virginia as well as Georgia that I didn't pursue -- Virginia ones didn't have the variety I was looking for, and I felt Georgia might be too far south for me -- that you might want to look further into.

biwa

I have heard good things about Stark Brothers from my buddy at work. I think I will try that one. I didn't realize they had doughnut peaches. Thanks for suggesting them; I'd completely forgotten that Stark Brothers existed until you just mentioned them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”