What are these mutant yellow-jacket type hornets???

What are these mutant yellow-jacket type hornets???

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:17 pm

My back yard is wooded, partially heavily-wooded, and I seem to have these gigantic huge hornets that are attracted to my lights at night. I thought bees and wasps/hornets were still at night. What are these things and are they as scary as they look????

Coral
Dogpatch318

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 am

is there any way you can get a picture or give a little more info like the color
dinker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:37 pm

I could try to get a picture but they are really a bit scary.....they actually look like a giant yellow jacket (or ground wasp).
Dogpatch318

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm

:? HMM My first thought when I read wooded area and they were large was wood bee also called carpenter bees but they look more like a bumble bee not a wasp
dinker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:05 pm

no, these are definitely not anywhere close to that---they are yellow-striped like a yellow jacket but HUGE!!! I may be able to get a picture within a week. If I turn the outside light on while it's dark, there will always be 4 or 5 flying around the light in minutes....I'll see if I can zoom in and get a picture.
Dogpatch318

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:20 pm

that sounds like a giant cacada killer they pray on cacadas or most people around here call them locust not sure why
dinker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Sounds alot like a giant hornet.

Toms92gp

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm

this is exactly what it looks like!! My neighbor just saw one and called it a European Hornet...after researching online it seems the European Hornet only reaches 1-1/4 inches but, unless I'm hysterical, the ones I have look a little larger than that. Is this giant hornet a European Hornet?
Dogpatch318

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:09 am

Try looking up the "Cicada Killer" too. They're as big as a man's pinky or a woman's thumb. Here's the one that landed with a loud combined buzzing that sounded like a powertool, not 4 feet from my kids the other day.:shock: I had no trouble ID'ing it because it was clutching a green cicada. :wink:
applestar
Mod

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:12 am

ok---it's definitely not a cicada killer, but you got a couple of great pictures!! And I had forgotten, but I remember seeing the cicada killers a lot when I was a kid....too many years ago!
Dogpatch318

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:54 am

Dogpatch318 wrote:this is exactly what it looks like!! My neighbor just saw one and called it a European Hornet...after researching online it seems the European Hornet only reaches 1-1/4 inches but, unless I'm hysterical, the ones I have look a little larger than that. Is this giant hornet a European Hornet?

Its a European hornet, which according to wikipedia gets up to 1.4 or 1 1/2 inches. I swear I've seen bigger though around here. My dad grows apples and they love to get into rotting ones, but mostly they prey on the other insects that eat the apples like yellow jackets, junebettles, japanese beetles, ect. Other then there sting they aren't really bad to have around since they prey on alot of insects that are considered pests.
Toms92gp

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 pm

so they can just scare you to death....at least I don't have to run screaming from them :lol:

They evidently have a nest in one of the trees in my woods---I'll have to take notice and stay clear of that!
Dogpatch318