Catlee
Newly Registered

Crepe Myrtle won't bloom

Hi everyone, I am new to this site/fourm and let me say it is an awesome site. A lot of interesting stuff!! 8)

Now my question, I bought a Crepe Myrtle tree last year, it was in bloom and looked beautiful.

It didn't bloom this year. :cry: How can I boost it back into blooming. It has alot of light green almost yellowish leaves, they came out that way, but no blooms. Any suggestions?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Catlee - welcome to our site!

How much light does your plant get? Crepe myrtles usually do best in full sun, so it may be a light issue.

You mentioned the leaves are yellowy, or a light green - this could also indicate a lack of nitrogen. Myrtles can adapt to all kinds of soil conditions - but as I understand it if you add fertilizer now be careful not to add too much - overfertilizing can reduce their cold hardiness.

If you're an organic fertilizer kind of person, crushed eggshells will help - Opa can tell you all the other things high in nitrogen and can probably suggest the best ones of those to use for you too.

If you're a commercial fertilizer - a simple 10-10-10 or 6-6-6 would do for you, no more than twice a year.

hope that helps!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”