Davyd

Marigold harvesting

Okay, sure I've done this many times before (marigolds happen to be my favorite flower). But I've honestly never known the 'official' parameters so I wanted to ask and get some confirmation.

1 - When is the best time to harvest all the new seeds from the marigold plant? Can this be done at any time or right when the flower dies? Or does it just depend on how pretty you want the plant to look?

2 - If possible, how and where (in what conditions) can you store the seeds? Do they like it hot, cold or medium? I assume no moisture, but air tight as well?

Again, I've done these things many times in the past. I just wanted to make my planting less of a junk shoot next time.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I don't know the "offical" parameters either, but I make a habit of constantly pinching off the dying marigold flowers and leaving them next to the plant to create more. For collecting in the fall, I remove the flower just as it starts to get crinkly, then leave it on a table for a few days until the seeds are easy to gather. Then I put them in an envelope and put them in a drawer (dark, room temperature) with all my other seeds. I've never had trouble with them and I've collected them in this manner for years.

I know that probably doesn't answer the question of if there's a proper way, a better storage temp, etc. But since I've never had a problem, I thought I'd answer anyway. :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hopefully we can make it less of a "junk shoot for you this time"! :lol:

Seed collection is very easy, especially on a marigold. The base of the flower swells as it fades and withers. Eventually the flower is a dried up dark brown bit and the swelling pod has turned from green to tannish-brown and spread open at its exterior end. It will be easy to remove the seeds from the pod...simply grasp the dried up flower and pull it out of the pod. The seeds will come through the opening in a tight cluster attached to the withered flower. Clasp that cluster of seeds and pull it from the dried flower to separate them. Let the seeds dry for a few days on an open plate, or newspaper before packing.

The seeds are narrow and flat, and are usually between 1/4" and 1/2" long. They are two toned, with a wheat colored chaff at one end and a very dark greyish-black seed at the other. Seeds that are lighter than this dark greyish-black are not mature. It is not neccessary to remove the chaff from the seed.
Be sure to pick the seed when it's dry, not green. Green seeds may contain incompletely developed embryos or may lack sufficient stored nourishment to survive until planting time. Green seed is also more likely to spoil in storage. If you paper bag heads of plants that ripen their seed gradually, cut a few slits in the bag for better air circulation.

If at all possible, gather seeds on a dry, sunny day — and preferably before the weather gets too cold. Frost itself won't hurt most seeds, but the condensation of moisture from alternate freezing and thawing might shorten the life span.

Even seeds that look and feel dry when you pick them should be spread on newspaper to air-dry for up to a week before putting them away.
It's usually best to seal your well-dried seeds in moisture-proof containers and keep them in a cool place. Marigolds need to be scarified (freezing)before they will germinate, so keeping them in the freezer is probably best. Jars with rubber gaskets, metal film cans or other taped-shut cans all work well. (Don't forget to write labels!) When you remove the freezer-stored seeds, let them dry to room temperature before opening, to prevent condensation of warm air on cold seeds.

I think this answers all your questions. I'm not sure if it's the official version anywhere, but it is what I do, and they always grow just fine! :wink:
Enjoy your marigolds!
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I might add something...

but there's really nothing to add. Nice job, Val... 8)

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Why thankyou kind sir!! 8)
VAL

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”