tonyfirstyear79

How to Water Tomatoes? What is Too Much or Little?

Ok, I'm new at this... and everything I read and everyone I talk to all say different things...So I'll put this out to all you good people out there: How often do I water my tomato plants? and at what time of day? They are indeterminate growing in five gallon buckets. I water anywhere between 7-9 pm every night and the soil always seems very dry by the time I water again the next night. My plants are producing tomatoes like crazy!! but the plants themselves don't look healthy at all.... some of the tomatoes are catfaced but mostly they all look ok... the plants don't...
Also when I water I soak the soil really well... each bucket for a few minutes and in 24 hours... almost bone dry... (I wish I just planted them in the ground!) Am I watering too much? Too little? If I water in the morning around (7 am)will I get leaf burn?
So tell me about watering please!!
also the yellowing leaves at the bottom... big problem? Do I cut them off? If every leaf in a small(ish) branch is yellow do I cut the whole branch?
thank you

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Do you have saucers/trays beneath the pots? If not, I would suggest adding this feature.

Why...the trays will provide a small reservoir of water for re-uptake into the containers once you've put away the hose/watering can for the night, giving the plants a margin of comfort they don't currently have. I water my 5-gallon-container tomatoes until the water is up to the top of the container, let the water go down, and then fill up again.

When you say "the soil seems very dry," are you actually testing it with your fingers? How far down is the dry layer?

What kind of soil/potting mix is in the 5-gallon pots?

Just trying to get more of a handle on what's happening. Personally, I water late in the afternoon just because that's when I can manage it, but only the plants that need it. Some get every day, others every other day, etc. Food plants have priority; established plants are lucky (given drought condition) to get once-weekly watering.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

tonyfirstyear79

I used an organic potting soil I bought at the store mixed with a little compost. I started gardening this year... just on a whim and I didnt think I'd get so into this... now I wish I did everything different... I guess there is always next year.
So I place a dish under the bucket?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Organic potting soil + compost sounds pretty good to me--it's almost exactly what I did! :D

Yes, I would suggest the water-catching trays/saucers. You can buy plastic ones for pretty cheap that will fit under the 5-gallon containers. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the containers before going to OSH or wherever, b/c they're sold by sizes.

And check the soil moisture with your fingers to see how far down the "dry zone" is: that's good information to have, as well.

Happy Fourth of July!

Cynthia

MaryB

You live in CT., I'm in Mass. Calif. weather is much different from here.
This area should not be watered at night, too much chance of diseases and fungus problems. Water in the morning that way the plants will have all day to use their water.
Are you watering around the plant or sprinkling from above?
You wont get leaf burn if you water early.
Sun around here isnt burning till about noon.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I plant tomatoes in the ground and in containers. Tomatoes should never have their foilage wet when watering. That eliminates any wet leaf issues. Container plants have lots of water run through so time release fertilizer should be refreshed more regularly than for plants in the ground or perhaps fertilize with some water soluble product including perhaps compost tea. In the hotter part of the summer my plants suffer stress if they don't get watered twice per day. My schedule is usually around 9 a.m. and then again at about 5 p.m., which gives time for the plants to dry if any water hits the foilage. I have planted in as large as 30 gallon containers and the plants still need that second watering when temps are over 90 degrees. IMO the reservoir type of containers are too expensive though they are quite effective. I don't like to use bottom saucers as it can cause the soil to sour and roots to rot. I am considering one of two adjustments in the future. One will be to place about a half inch cotton wick through the bottom of the container and lead it into a reservoir. It would seem to me that water would wick up the cotton and slowly provide moisture through out the day. The other adjustment may be to place a drip emitter in each container and allow it to cycle on several times during the day.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jess
Greener Thumb

tonyfirstyear79 wrote:Ok, I'm new at this... and everything I read and everyone I talk to all say different things...So I'll put this out to all you good people out there: How often do I water my tomato plants? and at what time of day? So tell me about watering please!!
also the yellowing leaves at the bottom... big problem? Do I cut them off?
:D So how many different answers will you get on this thread?!
Lots, hopefully, because there is no exact method. We are talking plants that have many variables as does the weather.
Once you have grown them for a few years you will know the answer to your question. In the meantime all we can do is advise on our own experience.
I am equivalent to zone 8/9 USA. This means I have a very long growing season. I can start growing earlier than some zones and continue growing a lot longer. We have (usually) a regular and reasonable amount of rainfall. Plants prefer natures way of watering; a light, steady amount over a long time frame (compared to pouring a watering can full on the plant) that allows complete penetration of the soil.
I water Infrequently because usually the weather does it for me. Our summers are not extremely hot so I have little need to water twice a day.
Humidity is not excessive but it can get humid. I have time to water in the morning before the sun is strong so I do but there is no ideal time in my zone.
All these factors will make a difference to how often you water. Learn to watch your plants and understand what they are trying to tell you. If temps are high plants will wilt even if they are not dry. Learn to tell the difference. Overwatering can show similar symptoms to underwatering. Learn to tell the difference.
As Cynthia said, sticking your finger in the soil is the best way to tell if it needs watering!
As for the yellow leaves all I can say is the plants grow a terrific amount in a very short space of time. They will put the most effort into setting flowers and fruit as this is how they guarantee survival. The leaves on most tomatoes look awful by the end of the season. If too early in the season I would worry, if too extensive I would worry but otherwise pick off anything that is no longer green. The plant has given up on them so should you.
There you have it. How much to water your plants? I have no idea! :lol:

Roger

I guess there is always next year.
If I only had a dollar for every time I have uttered that phrase... :)

Actually, if your plants are producing good amounts of fruit that isn't splitting or cat-faced or thick skinned - I'm of the opinion that you are watering just fine. I wouldn't rush to change too many different things at once, until you could see results of each adjustment.

I would add the dishes beneath the containers though, to help conserve moisture in your plant's soil. It might be all you need to adjust to green up your plant a little.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”