bobbya
Newly Registered

Grape vine bonsai

I received a bonsai grape vine from my daughter for my birthday. I would like to accept the challenge/adventure. The instructions that came from Harry & David were very sketchy about watering frequency and fertilizing. As the plant arrived, there was a carpet of green moss on top of the soil. The moss has apparently died off. :?: At first the plant was going great, then suddenly the leaves began to die off. :? I fertilized it with 2 "Miracle Grow" plant spikes and now it seems that there is new growth. Could you recommend a watering/feeding cycle? How about a good book, possibly taylored to grape vine bonsai?

Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Grapes are all abput the watering, so the death of the moss was troubling (how often are you watering?). PLant spikes are not a fertilizer of choice for me, but they seem to be working for you...

Grapes can only be pruned in the dormant periods so it is just watering and feeding until the leaves drop, then whack it back to the main trunk and wait for spring. Until then Water, Water, Water...

HG

bobbya
Newly Registered

I had been watering about every other day, making sure that the roots were soaked. Is it possible that I should let the water sit so as to "dechlorify"?

Bob A.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That could only be good for the plants...

jen1014
Newly Registered

I also recently purchased one of these plants. I am new to bonsai and spent some time reading the articles on your site. I live in CO and am confused as to whether or not the plant should be outside (except in the winter) or not. Also, the plant does not currently have grapes on it. Is there anything I need to do to stimulate that growth or will I see it next spring? Last question - what type of fertilizer do you recommend?

Thanks for you help!!!
Jen

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Outside as much as possible, until hard frost for these guys.

Don't rush the fruit; it's very stressfull for any plant and new guys just settlin' into a pot especially, so fertilize with a good organic fertilizer (I make my own compost tea, but have been known to use Espoma products, and more recently Coast of Maine seaweed and fish emulsions (try the salmon fertilizer and you'll know the other reason to keep them outside :shock: )

Should be cutting back on fertilizer now anyway...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”