* Login CLICK HERE TO REGISTER       

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:44 pm 

I planted 1 Sweet 100 this spring. We mixed sheep manure and black dirt 50/50 and made a bit of a mound to plant on. I have so far harvested over 1,750 tomatos. Is this unuasually high or not? I would like to know what everybody else is getting? This works out to be about 20 lbs. off of the 1 plant and they are still coming at the rate of 40- 60/day. I am in southeastern South Dakota so the season will be coming to an end in 3-4 weeks. Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:37 pm 

Seems very high to me, I'm jealous! I have 2 sweet 100's and have probably gotten a few hundred so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 pm 

That is abnormally high. I'm not sure what caused that increase...What area are you from, what type of soil composition do you have and what type of climate/weather?

Post subject: Cherry tomato production
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 am 

I think it is high too. I didn't have time to pick last night so this evening I picked 163, there doesn't seem to be any stopping them. That brings the total to 1,998, mind boggling. I am not a big gardener, just sweet corn and tomatos and watermelons. My garden used to be a sand vollyball pit that I hauled a bunch of black dirt on and mixed in. 2 years ago we put 1 manure spreader of sheep manure on it along with some lawn fertilizer. This year we put a bit of a mound of 50% sheep manure and 50% black dirt that we had mixed together and planted the tomatos on it. I am in southeast South Dakota near Sioux Falls. The weather has been very warm and humid this year, I don't know if that is part of it or not. We are in the construction business so we have a 2,800 gallon water truck and I pull water out of our pond and water the garden with that. I felt that the outstanding production is over the top so I posted here to see if it is that abnormal. Thanks for the response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:55 pm 

what made you start countng them :?: :)

Post subject: numbers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:20 pm 

I don't know why, but I am a person that likes to keep track and compare. This is the first year that I have counted the tomatos and now that I did I will probably continue to do so just to compare.

Post subject: Re: numbers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 pm 

lillgardnr wrote:
what made you start countng them :?: :)

badgerdig wrote:
I don't know why, but I am a person that likes to keep track and compare. This is the first year that I have counted the tomatos and now that I did I will probably continue to do so just to compare.

OCD? :D

[ 7 posts ]