in(cense)
Newly Registered

VERY NEW

ok, so I got a bonsai as a presnet yesterday, I think its whats called a Blue Moss Cypress. I'm pretty sure its around 1-2years old. ill get some pics up, but I have a few beginner questions.
1: correct me if I'm wrong, but I should every couple of days stick a toothpick in the soil and if it seems moist not water.
2: my tree has been inside in my room w/ the light of a window for 2 days....its April of course and its a bit chilly outside and I'm compltely unknowing of bonsai so would it be a good idea to put the tree outside? because everything I read says u should only have them inside for about 3-5 days a month.
3: id like someone to recommend a watering method to me, ive been spraying the base of the tree and the soil w/ water along w/ giving the foliage some spray (just plain water) as well.
4. based on the pics, do u think the tree is in good condition for a start as of now?

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0672.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0674.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0675.jpg[/img]

ynot
Greener Thumb

in(cense) wrote:ok, so I got a bonsai as a presnet yesterday, I think its whats called a Blue Moss Cypress. I'm pretty sure its around 1-2years old. ill get some pics up, but I have a few beginner questions.
Welcome,
Here is a care sheet about Cypress bonsai:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Chamaecyparis.html

Read many of the other articles on this page also, You will learn a lot>
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
Do check out the beginners guides, As well as the articles on Soil as yours may very well be inappropriate.
1: correct me if I'm wrong, but I should every couple of days stick a toothpick in the soil and if it seems moist not water.
Wrong, See below next quote.
3: id like someone to recommend a watering method to me, ive been spraying the base of the tree and the soil w/ water along w/ giving the foliage some spray (just plain water) as well.
That is not nearly enough water,

Watering is about frequency, not amount.

The goal every time you water is a complete and thorough saturation of the soil.

Then you do not water again until it requires it.

Check it every single day.

Do not use a toothpick, use your finger and dig gently down in the soil [two knuckles deep]

If it is pretty moist [NOT 'wet'] Do not water, If it needs water give it a thorough completely saturating watering from the top until the water is FLOWING from the drain holes.

Wait ten minutes and repeat it.

[I only say 'pretty moist' because Cypress are thirsty trees - Mist it often until it goes outside -Where misting is less beneficial]

Do NOT use submersion as a regular watering practice, It is not reccomended by any experienced bonsai practitioner. Read this :
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Watering.html

2: my tree has been inside in my room w/ the light of a window for 2 days....its April of course and its a bit chilly outside and I'm compltely unknowing of bonsai so would it be a good idea to put the tree outside? because everything I read says u should only have them inside for about 3-5 days a month.
What is chilly?
I don't know where you read that but those 3-5 days would not be doing your trees any favors, Leave them outside where all trees live.
This guy needs to be outside as soon as possible, If you are concerned about the temps leave it out all day and bring it in over night to acclimate it gradually to the temps for several weeks.
[Again: What is chilly? You didn't bring all the rest of the trees from the yard into your room did you? :P ;) Again, Trees live outside.]
4. based on the pics, do u think the tree is in good condition for a start as of now?
So far, But you need to get attuned to it's need wrt water and light. Please remove the moss and the glued rocks also [How can you even tell if the soil is moist or not with all that stuff on there?], They are not helping your tree at all as they inhibit aeration of your soil.

Thank you for post the pictures, Can you please post another one of the soil please? [Without the moss and rocks]

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

in(cense)
Newly Registered

here's a pic of the soil w/o the rocks/moss (ive seen so many bonsai w/ the moss, so should I put it back on or is it just getting in the way?)
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0683.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0681.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/the_biznatch/IMG_0680.jpg[/img]
on the last one, look in the blatent red circle to that golden line. it appears to be some copper? wire, I don't know much about wiring but I read somewhere that it doesnt need to start this early, should I take that out?

ynot
Greener Thumb

In(cence)

Thank you for the pictures, Well done. :)
here's a pic of the soil w/o the rocks/moss (ive seen so many bonsai w/ the moss, so should I put it back on or is it just getting in the way?)
Leave it off, Many of the photos you see of beautiful moss on bonsai were placed there for the picture [or show] Then removed afterwords.

For day to day practical purposes most of them live without it, Although having said that some people do keep moss on full time [Not full coverage by the way.]
Also keep in mind that this is also in combination w/ a highly inorganic well draining potting medium that retains far far less moisture than that which is in your pot.
Using the medium that they use it is possible to water enough to keep the moss healthy without drowning the tree, This is not possible with the contents of your pot.

Your soil looks to consist of a high % of peat which is inappropriate for bonsai as it stays wet far too long and compacts easily which limits aeration [oxygen is just as much a requirement in your soil as moisture]

Please do check out the soil article on the site I linked you to previously
as well as this pair of stickys to learn a bit about well draining bonsai soil: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

& here, Good video demo wrt well draining soil in this one for you: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423
on the last one, look in the blatent red circle to that golden line. it appears to be some copper? wire, I don't know much about wiring but I read somewhere that it doesnt need to start this early, should I take that out?
This wire is not doing anything wrt styling, It is holding your tree in the pot. Look underneath the pot and you should be able to see it coming through the drain holes.

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

in(cense)
Newly Registered

when u look at the pic with the red circle, u can see those 3 roots in the background. Are those roots ok above the soil? I just want to get everything straight because I'm going to put the tree outside in a little bit and I want to make sure everything looks ok beforehand, I checked the ACTUAL soil lol and its all moist but not wet. Ill probably get some food for it soon

ynot
Greener Thumb

in(cense) wrote:when u look at the pic with the red circle, u can see those 3 roots in the background. Are those roots ok above the soil?
[Just so ya know, My caps are not shouting btw- Just emphasis...8):)]

Good question :)

Yes, They are your nebari {surface roots}.

The lighter colored 'hair like' roots that cross those horizontally are feeder roots [These are what actually take up water and nutrients to nourish your tree]. These are what you want your pot full of [And PROPER soil would promote their growth. Large roots such as that under the surface need to be removed [Eventually, As they take up space that the feeder roots could be using]
I just want to get everything straight because I'm going to put the tree outside in a little bit and I want to make sure everything looks ok beforehand
Ok, That being the case you need better soil.
I checked the ACTUAL soil lol and its all moist but not wet. Ill probably get some food for it soon
Ok, In case you were looking for it - There is no such thing as 'bonsai fertilizer', The only thing different is what's written on the label [And of course.. The price]. There is no difference chemically.

Buy a balanced fert [wrt the NPK, All the numbers are the same: 10-10-10 or 20-20-20..etc]
Always water before applying ferts, Never fert a dry tree [It shouldn't be 'dry' anyway ;)]

[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Feed.html]A bit about ferts & bonsai.[/url]

Hope I am being helpful and not too confusing as I have thrown a lot at you to absorb today. :)

ynot

in(cense)
Newly Registered

no no, I like getting everything thrown at me, it makes me feel like I have everything in front of me, just gotta analyze it. ill get some new soil when I get the chance. As for food, do u think Miracid would be a good choice?

ynot
Greener Thumb

in(cense) wrote:no no, I like getting everything thrown at me, it makes me feel like I have everything in front of me, just gotta analyze it.
:In Mr. Burns voice: Excellent ;)
ill get some new soil when I get the chance. As for food, do u think Miracid would be a good choice?
Two questions:

1. Any specific reason you would choose a fert for acid loving plants? [It's what you have already is my guess...]
As far as I know a regular fert [Such as miracle grow ] would do fine [Mind you I don't own this species- But I haven't ran across anything that suggests their acid loving.]

2. Can you explain a bit about the soil you would intend to get? After you get analytical [;)] with the soil links and stickys I have provided you may rethink what you consider to be 'bonsai soil'.

My apologies if you are already ahead of the curve on #2. 8)

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moderators note: This exchange occurred in another thread and is being moved here for the sake of continuity.

Posted by in(cense):
ok, so my Blue Moss Cypress is doing well, its fully outside now(it has been very cold at night so I was taking it in just to let it slowly adjust but now its fully out, ive got a nice spot that gets a little wind but not too much, will get rain and gets nice sun. I'm goign to get some new soil today and some plant food. can anybody recommend a soil, I know it should be quick-filtering, but any brands? the same for the plant food, any good brands for a Blue Moss Cypress? also, I'm not putting it in a new pot, but I'm getting new soil so yea I'm gonna have to repot it in the same pot. is there any safe way as to how u depot the plant, get rid of the soil from the roots and everything, should I cut back the small roots that actualy take up nutrients? and how should I repot it with new soil? this is my first time doing this, so any help would be of thanks
in(cense)
Posted by ynot:
in[cense],

Have you done your research? You never answered my questions in your other thread about this tree [Located here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4606 ]

[Gnome: A move for continuity possibly please?]

in(cense) wrote:
I'm goign to get some new soil today and some plant food. can anybody recommend a soil, I know it should be quick-filtering, but any brands?
Again, Did you do your research? Do you actually have proper bonsai soil [or it's components] easily available for your purchase today?
Remember, As explained to you: potting soil/garden soil is not an appropriate thing to use.
Quote:

the same for the plant food, any good brands for a Blue Moss Cypress? also, I'm not putting it in a new pot, but I'm getting new soil so yea I'm gonna have to repot it in the same pot. is there any safe way as to how u depot the plant, get rid of the soil from the roots and everything, should I cut back the small roots that actualy take up nutrients? and how should I repot it with new soil? this is my first time doing this, so any help would be of thanks
in(cense)
Ok,
Nevermind to my first two questions, You obviously have not followed a single link that was posted to you previously.

Please re-visit your first thread and spend some time reading it and the links included. There are references to answer [or help at least] the entire highlighted brown portion above.

ynot

in(cense)
Newly Registered

so I went to a nursery today w/ my mom, its a real nice one where they know their stuff and they grow bonsai, etc. I had done the research so I told them I had a young Blue Moss Cypress bonsai and needed soil and plant food for it. She got me soil they have for their bonsai section especially for evergreens, it was indeed quick-draining, and the research I did said I should go with Miracid as well as she said that would be a good idea. I also got Bonsai Survival Manual which mentions my tree so it looks like its very thurough and will help out. when I got home, I took out the tree and carefully got rid of the soil from the roots, and everything. there was ALOT of roots, so I took some clean sharp scissors for plants and cut away at the roots until there was a healthy ammount (made sure there were alot of smaller feeder roots still)
then I put a lil soil down in the pot and then put the tree in, filling it up w/ soil appropriately. then I gave it that thurough watering you said, ynot, kept the watering going as water flowed through the drainage holes at the bottom, and gave the foliage a lil spray. my last question as it seems everything is going well (I know not to use the plant food for about a week or two now) is that a big storm is gonna hit my area tomarrow, wind and rain all day, should I take the tree in? there's places where I can put it where part of my house blocks wind from the southwest but I'm not sure...I'm keeping it outside all night now, just wanted some input on the matter. its going to be HARD rain and winds will get very bad, blowing to the south, so I don't have much place to put my tree, everything ive read says my species of tree needs to be protected from wind. I think I'm gonna keep it inside tonight and tomarrow then put it back out on monday, cus winds will get up to 50mph

ynot
Greener Thumb

in(cense),

[I am not sure what to think of your comments wrt 'they grow bonsai'...:? That it is well draining is good, We will know by the soil we see I guess...:)]

Post pictures of this new soil please, As well as new pics of the tree repotted.

The repotting process sounds like it went pretty well 8).

As far as location goes, Do you have an unheated garage or porch where it would not be windy? That would suffice just fine. If your tree is small enough to be covered by a 5G bucket you could simply invert the bucket over it and but a cinder block or something equally heavy on top for the night... There are many ways to go about it before resorting to bringing it into the house if you don't need to. [Not that a night inside is going to be detrimental- Just letting you know there are other options to be considered.]

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”