gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Is my Luck Leprechaun salvageable?

As you know I have been growing this plant only with window light. Not the best window light either. So with bad window light and with me finding it infested with spider mites a few weeks back not too mention the fungus gnats it has been going down hill, fast here lately. Poor girl has had a rough life. The spider mites are gone I will deal with the fungus gnats, again, soon.

But in your honest opinion is the plant salvageable or not. It does have fruit on it. They have been there for a long time now. I would hate to miss them by culling this plant. But if there is no hope I would like to remove this pest trap and concentrate on my other tomatoes in the basement under lights. I just feel that with the poor conditions it won't come back. If it were summer I could save this plant I think.

I recently fertilized with an organic tomato fert. It is kept watered properly. Oh yeah it was topped last week as well to help with what it has and not concentrate on new growth.

Here it was 7 days ago, this was taken a day before the realization and than sudden demise of the spider mites. It was looking rough than.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05522.jpg[/img]

Here it is today a week later, spider mites are gone, fungus gnats still around and it has been fertilized. It is looking worse and not better.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05530.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05531.jpg[/img]

So you are now the judge, jury and possible executioner.

Be easy on her.

Dono

lorax
Greener Thumb

She's salvageable if you're willing to be brutal. I'd defoliate her of all but the leaves that have at least 50% undamaged surfaces.

That way you'll at least ripen the tomatoes, but it should also push her to flush new growth from the branch internodes.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:She's salvageable if you're willing to be brutal. I'd defoliate her of all but the leaves that have at least 50% undamaged surfaces.

That way you'll at least ripen the tomatoes, but it should also push her to flush new growth from the branch internodes.
Thanks Lorax. It has been putting out new growth at the base and the internodes. I have been taking this off to give more energy to the rest of the plant. Should I be letting this grow?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Let it grow - it's your new leaves and new plant, basically. I can't tell you the number of times I've defoliated the main stems and had the plant come back bigger and better from those shoots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Let it grow - it's your new leaves and new plant, basically. I can't tell you the number of times I've defoliated the main stems and had the plant come back bigger and better from those shoots.
Thanks I just talked to Blane from the Depot on the phone he was telling me to let them grow as well. Even clone them if neccesary.

Thanks

Dono

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

oh dang keep us posted

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

After looking at your pics I think spider mites got my indoor tomato plant too.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”