TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Hi All,

I've been in a physical and mental funk for a while. The heat got to both me and my tomatoes last year and I couldn't stand to be outside for very long at the end of the summer. I couldn't even stand tha thought of going outside.

After I was finished saving tomato seeds I probably ate only four tomatoes after that, and the plants got hit hard with septoria and early blight. Mostt of the fruit rotted on the plants. When it cooled off I just couldn't get my heart or my head back into gardening.

I did manage to get potatoes in this year but only got half of them hilled. I planted a lot of sugar peas but ther are none aout ther now. thosey didn't grow for some reason and those that id were eaten by rabbits. And my tomato seedlings still aren't in the ground because of a late start on them.

My decrepid barn fell the rest of the way down the other day and crushed my decrepid lawn tractor to add to my lawn and garden depression. Getting a new lawnmower before the city gets upset at the long grass is my immediate project.

Ayways, that is why I haven't been around. Hopefully I'll feel more sociable from now on.

TZ

applestar
Mod

Aww... So sorry to hear of your misfortunes, TZ. I TOTALLY get the state you describe because I get that way due to massive allergies depending on time of the year. I peer out the window at the garden until it gets too depressing to even look at. A lot went wrong for me last year also and I felt really bad because I couldn't do justice to the seeds, etc. you gave me.

So I sowed more TZ aluminum foil packets of tomato seeds this year. A few of yours from last year are undergoing a revival this season as well: Overwintered a Brazillian lemon (I think, wasn't it?) and he's doing well -- will be going in the ground this week. Extremely sad looking Earl of Edgecombe and Black Cherry survived in little cups from last year's left over seedlings and they are now looking fab outside. :D Who'd have thought it?

I really hope things turn around for you and you start enjoying your garden again. Good luck with the lawn mower and the barn. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear your gardening woes, but I'm really glad you are back, TZ. We've missed you! I can't tell you how many posts I've read and thought, gee I wish TZ were still around, he would know the answer to that question.... We missed your expertise and your good clear writing and perceptiveness.

Gardening always has ups and downs. My garden over all is doing well this year, but I'm starting to think I will fail again at growing potatoes. I tried them for the first time last year, but they fairly rapidly got blight and died without ever producing potates. This year they got farther, actually bloomed, but are starting to look blighted again. I'm tryiing to treat them, but that might be a lost cause.. oh well...

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Late blight or somethnig else for the taters.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hey TZ, here's one of those threads where we could really use your expertise!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46134

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I skip a lot of those 'what's my problem' threads because anything with more than a couple of pictures won't download for me (dialup), but I did see that one. Any ideas I have were already mentioned.

I would bet that the rugose leaves are normal. They just haven't expanded out yet.

I really don't have an answer about the fruit set. It does look like too much nitrogen, but that usually reduces flowering rather than stopping it all together and doesn't make flowers drop without setting fruit. So that leaves high temps and low humidity and maybe sunlight factoring in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for looking at it... I didn't know anyone still used dial up. I recently saw an article listing dial up modems with rotary dial telephones as obsolete technology, saying kids would not recognize the sound either one of them makes... :)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Hugs for DV and TZ. Goodness :(
Hope things improve TZ!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”